Signs of Spring :)

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The cover should be coming off this week :D :D :D

Lots of things to do before getting wet :( :( :(

I've been reading posts on battery chargers and this will be one of the first projects of the year. Typical 2 battery setup. Looks like the Pro-Mariner is the way I'll go.

1. Will the Pro-Sport 12 keep up with the load if I leave the livewell running all night?

2. On a 258, where would be the best place to mount the charger inlet? I was thinking port side transom.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was told by Guest that for a group 24 you want 6 amps per lead, and for group 27 you want 10 amps per lead, so depending on your battery size, that might help you pick the right charger. Might want to call ProMariner to confirm or see what they think. All battery chargers will drop charge load at some point, each charger has a time period where after a constant hard charge it will drop down to let the battery cool so you will not get a full deep charge all night, it might cycle off for a little to let the battery cool, this is done by a rate of charge per time, more expensive chargers actually have probes to check temperature and will charge hard until a temperature is reached before dropping down. This is done to keep from damaging your batteries and to prevent shortening of their life. You should be fine running your livewell pump all night though. If your only worried about bait, a bait motel or bait cage might be a better option, they are a heck of a lot cheaper and will keep you baiot alive and swimming overnight, and put a heck of a lot less wear on your pump and electrical system. A charger though is a great addition either way, something you will never regret having. Always keeps your batteries topped off so you never get down to the boat and find boat that won't start.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My batteries are group 27s. I sent Promariner an e-mail and am waiting for a reply. Thanks for the heads up Gradyfish22.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I believe most charger inlets were mounted under the gunnels and entered the aft bulkhead, typically entering one of the battery compartments. I would try and locate everything so that your inlet charger and batteries are all close to one another. I would perfer the inlet inside the boat as opposed to outside , just seems safer to me incase you happen to drop it, deck is a lot safer then in the water. Also, if you buy a holder to use in a rod holder in the boat is better, this will keep the chord out of the water, along the transom won't allow you to use one and the chord could dip in, most are waterproof, but it's something I like to avoid when possible.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Gradyfish, Thanks for the suggestions. I'm at a loss as to where to mount the charger inlet on the inside transom. With the dropdown seat and battery swich door covering the whole inside portion of the transom, my only option would be to use one of the rod holder holes under the gunnel over the saltwater washdown. Not sure if that's the best option. I have looked at the cord holders and will probably get one. I like keeping things neat but I think it's ridiculous they charge that much for a piece of pipe with a loop on the end. Tomorrow I plan on spending the afternon on the boat and will try and work it out.

I did get a response from ProMariner and they did suggest I get the ProSport 20 so that's the way I'm going. Appreciate the Tip :D

My radome and processor came UPS on Thursday 8) Need to take some height measurements as I think I'm over 12' now. I ordered a new connector for the cable as it is 50' long???? The end has to come off anyway so I can pass it through a waterproof fitting into my electronic box overhead. I'm handy with a soldering iron but do you have any tips as it is a 10 pin connector. Tin and solder middle row, shrink wrap and then top and bottom row is my plan. I know to be sure wire color and pin number match. Should be frustrating but fun as I like doing this kind of stuff :)