Silicone ... what is Good ?

Roadworker

Reaction score
I need to seal some areas on my Grady, can you tell me what is a good silicone to use?

Is there a true difference between a " Marine and Outdoor silicone" ?

Any Opinions would be great before i purchase some......

Thanks

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I usually use 3M or Sea Life products, I would avoid outdoor silicone. Most marine silicones will last longer then outdoor silicones. They claim they are formulated to withstand the saltwater better. I've had very good luck with 3M. The job is not something you want to repeatedly do, so I'd spend an extra buck or two and do with marine silicone.

gw204

Reaction score
What items are you sealing? For many things, there are much better products than silicone.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah, my preference has always been for urethane caulk. It's tougher, more durable, and sticks better. 3M 5200 or 4200 work great. They come in colors to suit, and the latter dries pretty fast.

For wooden decks we used to use polysulfide sealants. They take a long time to cure but are also very durable. Seems to me we used a primer with them. Also used for bedding hardware on wooden surfaces. It stays soft.

Most of my 'building' experience is with wood. The 'glass boats are certainly different.