Simrad GO size does it matter?

Madhatter0

Reaction score
Hey,
So buying a new fishfinder and chart unit for the boat 24 offshore and i was wondering since you can mirror the new simrad display on a tablet does the screen size really matter that much? If I could just buy a 7 inch and use the tablet as a bigger screen would you all still buy the 9". Westmarine has them on sale for 7" $749 and 9" 1049? What do you all think?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You don't have a signature, so I don't know what year your Offshore is... which could differentiate the dash layout you have. But for me, 9" would be the biggest I would recommend. I have a 12" chartplotter right now and while I'm OK with it, if anyone else drives the boat it is kind of big. But to better answer your question, how well can you read your tablet in sunlight? And what happens if it gets too warm... does it shutoff? How does it handle spray? Using the tablet you will have TWO screens cluttering up the dash space. See where I'm going with this? I'd get the 9" display.

seasick

Reaction score
It might depend on how much you need to read your plotter (maps). If you display split screens with maps and sonar, it is a bit harder to use the smaller screen areas. Of course the GO allows to to resize the split screens so that you can make either the map or the sonar use more of the screen. That said, I use two 5 inch units on my Adventure, one for maps and the other for sonar. It makes reading the data a lot easier.

I am not sure if that price is a good deal or not. You need to see what if any transducer is included and what maps. You probably will want to upgrade the map software and there are packaged deals out there that include Navionics chip

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They have the 9" on sale now with the Total Scan transducer for $899.99, which is a screaming deal. They are giving the older Total Scan away since it has been replaced by the Active Image 3-in-1 unit. Given the West Marine return policy you really can't beat that.

Go 9

Go with the 9". I wish I had a 12", but it just won't fit in the electronics box along with a radio. The Simrad screen is a joy to behold. You can view it at any angle even with polarized sunglasses. Tablet screens are really hard to see in a boat unless you are indoors. I need to use my iPad in order to run an underwater drone and it is very difficult to see in bright sunlight. I'm trying to figure a way to port the video to my Simrad in order to take advantage of that great screen.

There is no way to increase the size of the fonts on a Simrad when you view charts. The names of markers and waypoints are very difficult to read with my aging eyes. That's where the larger screen sizes really make a difference.

seasick

Reaction score
Doc,
I did a check on the offer and see that it also includes Navionics maps. As you mentioned that does seem like a good deal (with Total Scan xducer).

On another topic, I wasn't aware that you can't change font size. My eyes also are not as keen as they used to be and the bigger screen would probably help.

Enjoy the holiday

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I like the idea of the tablet. It would be nice for someone fishing with you to has access. I hate when I'm rigging and my son is driving that I can't see a screen becuase of of the angle.