Simrad NSE Electronics

Shortround

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the new Simrad NSE product and customer service supporting it ? Need electronics for new boat and was impressed with the Simrad but a little worried about the company backing it up.

Thanks,
Shortround

bc282

Reaction score
no personal experince with "new" Simrad since they became a part of Navico other than played with the units a bit.
Prior to Navico Simrad was very good stuff with the service behind 'em.
After being taken into the Navico fold, Simrad saw the same poor customer service as the rest of the Navico family which was unfortunate.

Very recent times, Navico has seemed to have listened to their consumers and critics and bolstered their support departments to much more satisfactory levels.
I can remember a time when i tried to get CS for a newly purchased Lowrance LCX unit which was found to have had a defective GPS antannae--i got so frustrated i was close to taking it back to the dealer (2.5 hour drive!) and demanding a refund (could not get any CS via email or phone for months).

Simrad used to carry a premium price as it was a premium product; not so sure now, i feel it looks like a re-badged, abeit different casing, Lowrance product with a more expensive price tag than the Lowrance. I don't think most other consumers are literally buying this too as sales for Simrad are not impressive.

If you're willing to pay for a premium product, i'd recommend #1 Furuno, then Garmin or Raymarine.
Love my Furuno and their service is simply unmatched, heck they helped me with the old Vx1 hardware along with the new NN3D.
Great email support, even followed up the email support by calling my cell phone, and when i called their # on a different occasion, the phone was answered by a real person and i was promptly transferred to a tech with real training and real knowledge of their products.

Not sure what Raymarine is going to be like as FLIR has bailed/bought them out. Hopefully they will continue their tradition and then things will be good.
Garmin support is decent--only problem i see is that their support techs are not experts with their vast array products and that they discontinue support relatively quickly to product that has only recently stopped being produced.

Many choices for the boater which is good, but makes it more difficult to choose as well.

Shortround

Reaction score
bc282,

I had Furuno Navnet2 on the boat I just sold. I liked the product whith the exception of a few things. I am aware of their quality as well as their good CS. For the new boat I was looking at the Navnet3 but did not like the look of the charts. Did not have enough contrasting color. So as a result was considering a different product. The Furuno dealer is getting a unit loaded with the c-maps to show me - said was much better

Shortround

bc282

Reaction score
surprised to hear your not 100% happy with the Vx2.
I'm still using my Vx1 displays (10" and 7") for FF, radar and as back up plotter.
last year i added the 12" NN3D as my main plotter and love it.
i've have or had Raymarine C80 system, various Lowrance systems, Humminbird and even a Garmin unit, but the NN3D IMO is my favorite.

lots of choices and many really good products, you can't really go too wrong.

Shortround

Reaction score
I was mostly happy with the Nav2. Two problems that drove me crazy - 1. the chartplotter constantly was redrawing - by that I mean maybe every minute or so. 2. I had a 10" and 7" display - the 7" was never as bright as the 10" display. As a note - I was told that they are no longer making the Nav2 systems all Nav3's. Still haven't made my decision - still got time.

bc282

Reaction score
Shortround said:
I was mostly happy with the Nav2. Two problems that drove me crazy - 1. the chartplotter constantly was redrawing - by that I mean maybe every minute or so. 2. I had a 10" and 7" display - the 7" was never as bright as the 10" display. As a note - I was told that they are no longer making the Nav2 systems all Nav3's. Still haven't made my decision - still got time.

The redraw on the NN3D is very good and fast without much "staccato effect" abeit not as fast as the black box NN3D, but not nearly as expensive either.
i removed much of the pre-loaded charts and aerial pics that were never going to be used and saw a bit of improvement in speed and reduced delays.
i too noticed that my 7" is not as bright as the 10".