SINGLE 207GAL TANK ON NEW SAILFISH

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
After all these years (decades), Grady eliminated dual tanks on new Sailfish.

Interesting reason - owners are running out of gas dead in the water because they can't manage the valves, as I was told.

Make sense?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wonder if this will change on other models. I used to swap tanks but now riun one engine on each to keep all of the fuel fresh. Another reason was the need to switch on the way back from a 60nm gulfstream trip.

Make sense? Well, a rep from Sea Tow told me once over 25% of their calls are boats who ran out of gas. :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
MegaB, I asked if the same occurred on the 300 Gal Marlin, answer was no.
After a certain size the material thickness upgrades may make it much more costly of a tank perhaps.

I was wondering why owners can't be responsible for remembering how to use the simple valves, the dealer explains this and the manual has the written instructions.

I operate my tanks in such a manner to never loose propulsion should the boat take on a contaminated fuel load. No longer. That's the benefit to me. And the aux tank is shorter in height than the main tank - I guess the fabricator can step or angle the top downard.

Better be careful where one fills up.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I remember there was a topic not too long ago asking how you should burn your fuel...Both engines on one tank or each engine on its own tank. I find it much easier to manage your fuel by burning one tank at a time.Once the one is empty, I know all I have left is 150 gal and depending what Im doing that will help me decide what and what not to do.

This past Aug we ran to the 100 Square area of the Hudson Canyon(100Miles from the inlet). It was a bit sloopy in an honest 5-7 on the way out and I was only getting about .7-.8 MPG. I burned the main on the way out and knew I had 150 Gal to get home. That meant no trolling if the seas contuned the way they were. Fortunally the seas let up quite a bit and I was able to maintain a 1.2-1.3 MPG for the ride home...Turned out trolling wasnt necessary for we managed 12 yellows overnite and the boxes were full...Burned about 230 on that trip.

Reason I mention this trip if the seas remained the same and we trolled for a few hrs, we would have cut it too cose for comfort.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I was hopeful Grady went to a single tank as a cost control measure, finally.

No such luck.

This change is worth at least $400-500 retail cost avoidance.

Motivator

Reaction score
I don't know when the single tank on the Sailfish was introduced, but my 2006 has the single tank.

Mark

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I looked it up after I asked the question. I know they used to offer an aux tank as an option years ago and I was thinking maybe the aux wasn't requested at the time of purchase. I wasnt sure if you were the origional owner....My former 88 sailfish had a 125 main and a 73 aux.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I looked through the cats last few years, both Sail and Release do show the single tank.

When at the Show I always ask what's new? I guess the sales guys forgot.

They must have also changed the access to the Sail's coffin, I could never get one large tank out of mine since the main is partially under the bridge. I removed the aux tank to the rear straight up, then slid back the the main, then pivoted the main out.

Motivator

Reaction score
Bob,
I have one large access panel in the cockpit floor for access to the tank.
Mark

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Motivator, I have one section too, but the tank extends under the steps about 18 inches. So it doesn't comep straight up, in my model.

Thanks for the info.

Gary M

Reaction score
With both my 1994 Sailfish and now my 2001 Marlin, I run one tank on one engine for even fuel burn and to keep fresh gas in both tanks.

However, with both boats, I'd run both engines on the Main for trips to the Bahamas from here in Lauderdale. The theory was that I KNEW that I had a tank of good/USA gas in the Aux should I take on some bad gas over there. On the way home to Lauderdale, I would then burn into my Aux..........

I'm glad that my boat has two tanks.....

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also like the idea of two tanks.Is safer to run both motor from a single tank on long trips because if you get there and don't change tanks,that means you have enough to come back. :wink: