Slow progress

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Finally got the parts I need. Replacing both water pumps again. This time, I also ordered some extra parts that normally do not get replaced when doing "a water pump" but are pretty indicative of a low idle heat issue.

So, now just need to take the time to install them.

Boat will not go back on the water this month though as I want to also replace the anodes in the engine, poppit vales, thermostats, before I test it.

Then, I will probably take it back to the lake and just idle it around to see if the alarm goes off....heh. Whatever that outcome, then I will take it to a mechanic to do a full diagnostic and a "hit list" of what all they can service, such as the new head gasket I think may be leaking around one cylinder.

That all being said.... coming along fairly well...

Worked on a friend's new to him boat. He has a 2007 Evinrude ETEC 60hp that needed a new water pump. Not sure who worked on the boat.. but they did an amazing job of the electrical wiring, but a horrible job of the engine. I tried to tell him to order ALL the parts inside the lower unit upper section, gaskets.. but he did not listen and so when we took it apart the exhaust damper seal was crushed like a bad dog in two places. Nothing we could do as he was adamant about putting it back together. So.. eh.. we did.. but, the water pump we installed kicked out a stream that went at least 2ft further than it had when we started... so, that bugger was good to go.

I also helped him clean the engine.. we removed all the cowling and lord.. the build up was crazy.. heh.. went through two rolls of paper towels but she looked almost brand new :p

Anyway, was good to see the boat plugging away when we were done, gasket aside.

So, we shall see how this next round of fixes go.

I did enjoy having the ability to back his boat all the way into my a/c shop :p

R

Reactions: Lsquared

Lsquared

Reaction score
Finally got the parts I need. Replacing both water pumps again. This time, I also ordered some extra parts that normally do not get replaced when doing "a water pump" but are pretty indicative of a low idle heat issue.

So, now just need to take the time to install them.

Boat will not go back on the water this month though as I want to also replace the anodes in the engine, poppit vales, thermostats, before I test it.

Then, I will probably take it back to the lake and just idle it around to see if the alarm goes off....heh. Whatever that outcome, then I will take it to a mechanic to do a full diagnostic and a "hit list" of what all they can service, such as the new head gasket I think may be leaking around one cylinder.

That all being said.... coming along fairly well...

Worked on a friend's new to him boat. He has a 2007 Evinrude ETEC 60hp that needed a new water pump. Not sure who worked on the boat.. but they did an amazing job of the electrical wiring, but a horrible job of the engine. I tried to tell him to order ALL the parts inside the lower unit upper section, gaskets.. but he did not listen and so when we took it apart the exhaust damper seal was crushed like a bad dog in two places. Nothing we could do as he was adamant about putting it back together. So.. eh.. we did.. but, the water pump we installed kicked out a stream that went at least 2ft further than it had when we started... so, that bugger was good to go.

I also helped him clean the engine.. we removed all the cowling and lord.. the build up was crazy.. heh.. went through two rolls of paper towels but she looked almost brand new :p

Anyway, was good to see the boat plugging away when we were done, gasket aside.

So, we shall see how this next round of fixes go.

I did enjoy having the ability to back his boat all the way into my a/c shop :p

R
Not this month!?! Yer killin me

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lol, well, it is “another 200 bucks” so have to wait till the end of the month....but the engines will be running fine by the end of this week. I just meant I have no real need or reason to drop it in the water till the thermostats etc are in and then, need to get a real mechanic to check it out.

That being said.....the reason I do not trust other techs....this is what 800 bucks gets you...

Damn water pump housing on the “good motor”...o-ring was almost severed in multiple places....

Attachments

• F1F522DB-B43F-4D0E-A04B-74A1206CF4A4.jpeg
    F1F522DB-B43F-4D0E-A04B-74A1206CF4A4.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 0