Snaps for cushions

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to replace some broken button snaps on my cushions and am looking for a source for good snaps & tool. I've not heard good things about the West Marine snaps.

Anybody out there that could point me in the right directions?

seasick

Reaction score
There are lots of canvas supply sites on the web but be warned. A good snap tool is expensive, about $130.
Google canvas tools, snaps.

JeffN

Reaction score
I purchased a snap assortment kit years ago and at the time also purchased a snap setting kit that consisted of a small punch like tool and a small anvil. The punch is made of aluminum and the anvil looks like hard rubber. I have replaced maybe couple of dozen snaps over the years and while not fancy it has been adequat.
Yeah I would enjoy the propper snap setting tool but it was a lot of money for not a lot of use. I don't remember where I purcahsed it but perhaps they are still available. For me it works well and I hate to try to do things with a cheap version of a "real" hand tool.

ahill

Reaction score
Boatowners Warehouse has a snap setting kit that consists of two attachments to the upper & lower jaws of vicegrips.
Pretty cheap too.
I've used the punch & cup for years but don't always get a good set.
I agree with you on West snaps, their ss nuts bolts etc. also have inconsistencies, esp screws.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Remember also that a little vaseline on the punch will lead to a lot easier rolling of the metal and a much better outcome. :D

Also I have the small kit from what used to be boaters world. worked great for me over the years.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use a block of wood with a piece of heavy rubber over it as the backside support and use a small hammer and punch. I set the punch in the middle and tap till I get the tightness and flare I want. Then use the punch to set the sides. Doesn't loop as pretty as the expensive tool, but does the job and can be done with stuff you already have in the tool box.

seasick

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
I use a block of wood with a piece of heavy rubber over it as the backside support and use a small hammer and punch. I set the punch in the middle and tap till I get the tightness and flare I want. Then use the punch to set the sides. Doesn't loop as pretty as the expensive tool, but does the job and can be done with stuff you already have in the tool box.
The advantage of the good tooling is that when 'fitting' canvas in the field, the position of the snap can be determined by fitting the canvas, markinf andinstalling snaps with the canvas still mostly attached. Using the block of wood and a punch requires moving the canvas to a flat spot that you can hammer on.
Of course this advantage works only for 'un-punched new canvas' or patched canvas.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree for new holes or an installed canvas a tool might be the best. If you are replacing broken snaps on canvas or cushions in the field (as the original post indicated), I'd say it is the least expensive way to do the job.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips & recommendations. I just ordered some stainless snaps from Sailrite along with the punch and anvil tool. Couldn't justify the expense of the expensive tool for only a handful of snaps.

seasick

Reaction score
Strikezone said:
Thanks for all the tips & recommendations. I just ordered some stainless snaps from Sailrite along with the punch and anvil tool. Couldn't justify the expense of the expensive tool for only a handful of snaps.
Let us know how it works out.
Good luck!

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Received the snaps and tool from Sailrite and replaced all broken snaps on my cushions this afternoon. This was a very easy & inexpensive process. Everything turned out great :p