So what does this do?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Another in a continuing series of basic questions....

This spring-loaded heavy pin apparently locks something in place, but what? Swivel and slide mechanisms don't depend on it. So I thought maybe raising the seat up a notch? But the seat wouldn't budge with the pin extracted and the screw mechanism below loosened. Also, seems like a bit of a fragile way to gain height...

BY7yrZL.jpg

Thanks for indulging my ignorance!

Rob

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Which spring loaded pin are you referring to? The one with the black knob or the one above with the allen head? I thought that the black knobbed-one was for height adjustment (which could be corroded up)?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The top pair of pins are for adjusting swivel resistance. The allen with the spring sets a constant pressure on a friction pad so the seat will swivel smoothly when you loosen the long bolt that should have a black plastic knob on it. This is the one you tighten to lock your seat in any given position.

The bottom set has the little spring-loaded knob that pulls out of or fits into a series of holes in the seat post so you can choose a height that suits you. After the pin is in the hole of choice the the bolt with the plastic knob is tightened to prevent movement on the button in the hole so it doesn't swage out the hole and flare the material to cause interference on the seat base.

I have the same seat bases on my boat but no boxes to mount the bases on. My seat bases are like 15 inches tall so I have a lot of height adjustment. With your seat base being so short because of it being on a box you may not have any height adjustment unless there is a hole cut in the top of the box so the inner seat post extends down into the box. Easy enough to check. Just loosen the bottom bolt with the black knob and pull out on the little button while lifting and wiggling the seat around. The button should back out a hal inch or more. It may be corroded if not used or lubed for a while. The seat post should come right out.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks. Yeah, it’s the lower set that I was asking about. I’ll let some penetrating oil soak in and give it another try. Another inch or so in seat height would be nice.

Thanks, Rob