Son's first grouper

greyg8r

Reaction score
Went out trolling for grouper yesterday with an experienced "grouper digger" yesterday and pulled out 8 gag groupers, two of which were keepers. Garrett, 15, had never caught a grouper before.

garrettgrouper2.jpg

pirate36

Reaction score
Congrats Garrett! Would be interested in hearing more about this trolling for grouper, as I have never tried this. My only experience, i.e. success, has been pulling them from the bottom while anchored or slow drift. Any tips?

greyg8r

Reaction score
Pirate36,

It does seem intuitively odd to catch a bottom lunker, like a grouper, by trolling as I had always thought that you catch the fast-swimming pelagics by trolling. But it does work.

You need to first, and most importantly, being fishing in a place that has grouper that ain't too terribly deep. In Tampa Bay, the water depth is 45'.

I troll 2 or more lines at a time. I use planers (but downriggers would be easier) to get the soft "Storm" lures down to the bottom. All 8 of my groupers last week were caught with these. Others use Stretch Manns (30s and 40s) without planers and I will try these again, although I have not had luck in the past. I troll at 4 - 5 knots and try to keep the lures less than 5' from the bottom. Occasionally they get snagged which trips the planers and requires that they be reset, which is no big deal if you know how to reset them.

IM me if you have any specific questions.

Richard

pirate36

Reaction score
Greyg8r,

Thanks for sharing your technique! Looking forward to trying this soon. As I know I'll be low on the learning curve with this, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me. Thanks again,

Frank

fisherofmen

Reaction score
Richard,

Can you troll that slow on one engine or do you shut one down when trolling?

Rick

greyg8r

Reaction score
Rick,

4 - 5 knots is about idle speed (700 rpms) with both engines running. So, I typically run both engines. But, I think I am going to experiment with an even slower speed while the water is cold and shut down one engine and see what happens.

The other thing I want to experiment with is getting OUT of the shipping channel, which sees its share of action on weekends. I think there are many spots that are better than the ship channel.

Richard

fisherofmen

Reaction score
Richard,

Thanks for your response. I would be interested to see your results. I don't troll with planers or down riggers. I use the Mann Stretch lures and spider wire. I troll at 6-7 knots with the stretch 30. I can't go that fast with the stretch 25 as they get fowled. I have never trolled in Tampa Bay or for that matter, fished it much. I think I'm going to change that though because there are too many nasty days that I don't go out because of 20 knot winds off shore.

Rick

greyg8r

Reaction score
Hi Rick,

I went out today in another guy's boat, a 2004 Aquasport 25 wa, and trolled for grouper in the shipping channel. 1 runt gag grouper. Fishing was slow today.

If you or any other Tampa area person wants to go grouper digging, let me know. I prefer to go out on weekdays when I am not travelling, but I go out on weekends, like today, also.

And you know, that Aquasport is slick and brand spanking new but I have a certain comfort level with mine now.

fisherofmen

Reaction score
Richard,

As part of my new years resolution, I'm going to try and fish much more often. I am going to try and take time during the week as well. I will keep you posted. I went out Friday night gigging and was not very sucessful. 1 mullet and 1 sheephead. I think the 35 knot winds had something to do with it. It was good to get out on the water though.

Rick