SPAM is ruining GreatGrady

JiminGA

Reaction score
The SPAM is out of control. I've PMed the moderator - no answer. It's sad seeing this happen and no corrective action being taken. :(

seasick

Reaction score
JiminGA said:
The SPAM is out of control. I've PMed the moderator - no answer. It's sad seeing this happen and no corrective action being taken. :(
I think they do a pretty good job of cleaning it up. You have to realise that the spam seems to appear in blocks of messages at the same approximate time. I am sure that the moderators don't have the time or luxury to watch the board every second.
What bothers me is how much and how frequently these spam 'attacks' take place. I imagine that the hosting service for the boards has a few 'holes' in its security features.
So, let's hope that improvements are made and in the meantime, try not to open those posts.

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
seasick said:
I imagine that the hosting service for the boards has a few 'holes' in its security features.

New to this forum and I've also quickly noted the excessive spamming. Unfortunate. It is plausible, I guess, that the registration process within PHPBB might be tightened in some fashion to deter the would-be spammer, but PHPBB forums have long been targeted by spammers who manage to always stay one step ahead of the latest anti-spam PHPBB defenses.

seasick said:
So, let's hope that improvements are made and in the meantime, try not to open those posts.

Having admin'd a highly active PHPBB forum for some years (much older version of the software, vintage 2004), I think resolution here lies in designating some additional trusted members as moderators. Those of you who have been here for some time probably have a good idea as to who some likely candidates might be.

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I removed all the spam. Every so often these spammers are able to figure out the answer to the special registration question. So I went ahead and changed the question. Hopefully this will stop all the spammers from registering.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Thanks for the cleanup! :goodjob

It's tough I'm sure staying ahead of this trash on our site.