Spare parts you carry with you

seasick

Reaction score
I don't carry a lot of spare parts mainly because I don't do a lot of off shore boating. I don't do a lot of nighttime boating either. I do carry a couple of spare bulbs for the nav lights. You should carry a few spare fuses if you have fuses on critical systems like the engine. The concern is that fuses don't often blow for no reason and having a spare may not help at all. In 12 years on my current boat, I have never blown a fuse at sea. Some fuses and bus bars developed corrosion so you might also carry a piece of emery paper and a small brush.

I know a lot of folks carry spare props. I can't imagine myself trying to swap a prop while at sea.
Spare filters: Maybe, especially if you don't change them frequently ( relatively speaking). If you do change filter on a scheduled basis, and a filter gets clogged, you probably have contamination in the tank or a problem with the fuel lines. I suppose you can swap a filter but it will probably get mucked up also.
To be honest , I do carry a filter wrench and I have had to remove and drain separator filters that got water in over time but once drained were perfectly OK to reinstall.
My small boat has a 2 stroke and I carry a quart of 2 stroke oil.
Most of my 'spares' are safety related; Extra flares, first aid stuff, change of clothes etc.When you fall overboard changing that prop you will need the clothes:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
X2. I' go overboard with safety gear (raft, epirb, plb, standard safety equip, stayafloat, lights, handheld and 2 filled ditch bags). I have seatow right in the harbor where I keep the boat. I have a strap wrench for the fuel separators and minor tools (phillips#2, flat blade screw drivers, small ratchet set, fuses, various fastners and small stuff like that).

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I carry fuses and a spare prop. Especially since spinning a prop after a soft strike on a submerged log on the Delaware River. That was a long slow trip back that day and if I had a spare prop it would have salvaged the day for pleasure and spared us a great inconvenience .

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A decent, well equipped tool bag including a multi-meter and 12v test light. An assortment of bulbs and fuses. Electrical tape. Wire ties. Some electrical wire of different gauge. Engine oil. Water separators. Ditch bag full of stuff, EPIRB, handheld VHF. LED light on my life jackets. Life raft coming soon.

Reactions: Ozz043

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I carry the usual stuff, fuses, spare bilge pump, flex tape, wire and connectors. But since my outboards are 30 years old, I have spare ignition module, voltage regulator, solenoid, coil, and spark plugs too.

Last edited:

Ozz043

Reaction score
What do I carry ..... lots
Along with all of the mandatory safety equipment I carry a spare anchor with rope, 2 drogues ( one I use for drift fishing ) a heap of globes/fuses, electrical wire and fittings, multimeter, zip ties and tape. Some hoses and clamps, sikaflex, a loaded toolbox and spare nuts/bolts/screws.

And I alway have a well stocked beer fridge

Heyspike

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I carried a small parts holder in the bow locker on my Mako 17' Spare hose, lamps, tape, wire ties, prop wrench, fuses, spark plug, wire, corks etc.
We were out in Ocean City a few years ago and I raised the motor and the tiller arm bracket cut the fuel line. Quick fix with some tape got me back safely so I could change thee hose.

bac0701

Reaction score
the usual safety gear. I'm saving for a raft this year. last year i got everything else i wanted for safety. lots of fuses multimeter, HPDI oil filters x2. I'm buying a spare tank pump this winter

seasick

Reaction score
Reading these replies make me realize that I actually have more spare parts on board then I first remembered! My worry is that if I had needed them, would I have remembered I had them:)