Speaker issues

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
On the 2005 Marlin 300 there are two sets of speakers that came installed. One set is in the bow and the other set is in the helm area port and starboard. Both run at the same time. First question. How would you separate the speakers so they run separately, like an a and b switch so I can listen to music outside and the munchkins can watch tv without listenign to good old CW music. Second question, if I wanted to add a set of speakers for the cockpit, where would be the best place to put them. I see some people have speakers mounted by the hard top near the spreader lights, but I have a bimini top. Thanks.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
speakers

Your fader will control front to back sound and balance will control left and right sound.
If you want to put in 2 more speakers to make a total of 6 you'll need a 6-way deck.
Most decks are 4-way meaning 4 speakers.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
As noted by plymouthgrady, your four speakers are currently connected to your audio unit.

To get the configuration you want, you would need to disconnect the two "front" speakers that are in the cabin and reconnect them to the TV. If you do that, then the speakers would no longer be available for audio.

Next, shift the connections for the two speakers that are on the bridge deck from "rear" to "front" on your audio system.

Then, install the two new speakers in the cockpit, run the speaker wires to the audio unit, and connect them to the "rear" connections.

You will then have two speakers in the cabin, connected to the TV, and four audio speakers - the "front" on the bridge deck and the "rear" in the cockpit.

Brian

jehines3

Reaction score
What type of head unit. there is probabaly a simple way if you can tell me what make and model I might be able to help. jh

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the information. I will check the unit manuf and number when I get home as I am drawing a blank now. I am not looking to eliminate stereo in the cabin, just be able to shut off speaker sound while tv is on. Any one with suggestions on potential new speaker location for cockpit? Thanks.

Motivator

Reaction score
If you have the same Jensen unit I have in my 06 Sailfish, finding the fader control on the unit in the cabin is a pain. It is there, but you have to push just the right button the right number of times to find it. I too am interested in hearing where additional cockpit/helm speakers can be mounted.

Motivator

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ok, I have a Kenwood 225. It's amazing how much receivers have changed because I started looking for the Ipod dock or connection, which was not there. Of course in addition to adding speakers and figuring out a way to shut down the front speakers I next need to figure out how to install an ipod connection, you know living in Magaritville and all.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a custom stereo (as I also did on my 272). The speakers mount on brackets under the rear of the hardtop. On the 272, the models were smaller so I could swing them facing in or out as needed. The new model doesn't clear the rod holders on my 300 so I added another pair and have the center pair facing in and the outer pair facing aft. They are driven by an Alpine head unit and 6 changer CD. The sound is exceptional though I don't play it extremely loud these days. :lol:

Using the factory unit, you could add a pair under the hardtop as mine are mounted. This may require an additional power amp however.

jehines3

Reaction score
el jefe, I pulled the manual for the 225 and your options will be limited with this head unit. There is no ipod connection and the adapter for Kenwood's I heard was expensive.

Anyway, adding on to what Mega said, you will need an amp. The 225 has a pre amp output for the rear channel. The easiest thing to do would be to add the amp and put a set of speakers topside at the helm. You can fade out the front channel which should be your fron cabin speakers and still use the topside amp pair. If you put the amp on a switch you can turn the amped speakers on and off with the flick of a switch.

If you want Ipod capability and more speaker options a new head unit would be my suggestion.

Let me know if this is enough to get your project plan together. If you are trying for something more elaborate, let me know what you want to do and I can steer you through it. Some others here have some pretty high end systems as well. jh

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
John, and everyone thanks for all the help. I reread the manual late last night and reached the same conclusion. I am probably better off junking the Kenwood and upgrading with a new system. One other alternative would be to keep the kenwood, disconnect the outdoor speakers, install a new system, reconnect the outdoor and add two new ones. But that seems very indulgent as I think about it. I am also still wrestling with the speaker location for the aft pair. Seems like this will be one more project to add to the list. Gonna post up some questions on underwater lights in a little while.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
speaker loc.

I have 2 6' box speakers tucked up under the gunwale to the aft and 2 3'' speakers mounted on the dash tucked back by the windshield. Great inexpensive all around sound. I think I have pics posted somewhere on here! (sorry for so many posts lately...it's been pretty slow at work!)

Gary M

Reaction score
I mounted a pair of marine, box speakers under the gunnels of my 25 Sailfish and they sounded great in the cockpit! But, watch the depth when you drill the pilot holes "up" into the gunnels from below! I ran the drill bit a tiny bit too far and then had a minor repair to do on top of the gunnel! :evil:

You might consider 5200-ing a small block of wood to then drill the screw holes into....

Make sure to get Marine speakers as under-the gunnel mounts WILL get wet occasionally....

Also, I just replaced a pair of original speakers and I wanted to get REALLY good quality speakers but I realized that spending big bucks on speakers that then go to an older, not-so-powerful unit would be a waste so make sure that you "match" the speakers with the stereo unit. I got a pair of $140/pr Sonys and I'm very happy with how they matched the stereo unit.......

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Gary, good idea on the wood block base. Did you have the speakers flush with the inboard side of the gunnel, or slightly recessed (back towards the topside hull)?