speaker mount

evo8coop

Reaction score
hi guys im new here my dad has a 283 release and i kinda blew the speakers and i feel like i need more power. has anyone done custom speaker mounts on their t tops?? what speakers did u use? how did u do it? i want it to sound good for wake boarding when im being pulled behind the boat. i have and 05 boat

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the board!

There are two main choices that I am aware of - flush mount and bracket mount. The JL Audio series and Polks are very popular for round, flush mount installations. I've had two boats now which used Boston Acoustics Voyagers. These are bracket mount and sit just behind the rocket launchers under the hardtop. I don't play music especially loud these days but as a former sound engineer for a touring rock band, I have experienced LOUD beyond what most can imagine.

If you need to hear the music while on a wake board, you will need both amp power and speakers which will handle it. I'd recommend 4 speakers to distribute the power and lessen the strain. Bracket mount under the hardtop will allow more sound to be directed behind the boat. Check Internet stores for choices. Besides the BAs I have, Nile OS10s have a great rep. Good luck.

Drifter80

Reaction score
Hey Megabytes,
Do the grills on the Boston Accoustics Voyager speakers come off easily? Could wind ever knock them off? Looked at some knock offs @ best buy today and the sound from the speaker knocked the grill off one. :roll:

Drifter80

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the info on the speakers. I'm planning on picking some up on my lunch hour. I am thinking about getting the 5" or 6" voyagers. I replaced my old stereo and put two speakers in the cabin. After I hang these two on the hard top I might need an amp and thats it....well, for now.

Drifter80

Reaction score
My hard top doesn't have enough room for the BA speaker pods. Its a clearance issue in some areas and its the lack of something to mount them to in another. I have them under the cup holders by the helm, where my old speaker pods were. Not exactly where I wanted them but I'm happy with the results nonetheless. Maybe next year I'll find a couple smaller speakers and mount them on the hard top.

seasick

Reaction score
Its usually not the volume that blows speakersd, it's distortion. If you are going to crank up the stereo to max, you will blow most speakers. It may sound counterintuitive but the way to protect speakers is to go to a more powerfull amp. Yes, you need speakers atht are rated for the amp power but as long as you keep the distortion down, they should last.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seasick is correct. When the output stage of an amp is overdriven, the waveform "clips" and begins to include odd ordered harmonics -a fancy term for distortion. The tweeters take the worst of this. Blown woofers are more often caused by overheating or over excursion, both resulting from exceeding the power rating.

The best rule of thump is to have a system which can meet your volume requirements without distortion. Also be aware it takes twice as much power to add 3 db of volume (typically the smallest noticable change).
If you have 50 watts and move to 100, you can only expect a slight increase in volume with all other factors equal. Under typical music load, most amps are only using 10% of their available power. It is the musical peaks which drive the amp harder. Lower frequencies (bass) also require much more power.