spider/ stress cracks in 268

hkg4142

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1995 268, there is spidering in the gel coat around the hatches inside the boat (livewells, back seat, cabin doorway), some deep enough to fit a finger nail in. Can anyone tell me if this is expected since it is a 15YR boat? I spoke to Grady and asked if maybe they used a harder gel coat with little flex to it during that year and he said they did not.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I have a 23 yo Grady. I have spider cracks in the gelcoat most everywhere, but none of them are big enough to fit a fingernail into. Cracks themselves aren't unusual, BUT if they are ALL in the same place you might wonder. Maybe the previous owner liked to slam his hatches closed? OR, maybe he liked to pound it into heavy seas. Look for other 1995 boats and see if any of them have similar cracks.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also have a 95 268. I have some cracks that I have patched as you have stated. Left of the companion way, right of the port side fish box, and a small one in the rear port floor near the access panel. I would not call them excessive but there are a few. These are little things I can see and fix. Not a big deal. I think it is the thickness of the gel coat that leads to cracking. It tends to be thicker on inside corners.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The fibergalss underneath is compromised, may have been voids in construction, or too weak or flexing too much to begin with, with respect to the fingernail gaps.

If no access from below, has to be grinded out, beveled well back , and built up with new glass, more than original. And "no-void" constructed.