Sportsman 180 Fire Extinguisher Mounting

capeguy

Reaction score
I have kept my extinguisher in a box in the console, but trying to think of where to mount it to save space. Mine is a 99, I see newer models actually have an indent in the console on the starboard side for this. Anyone mount one on the inside of the console door? If so how?

Thanks!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I mounted mine to the side of the electronics box...inside the console. Drill your holes and run the screws from the e-box through the bracket. With a finishing washer on them and a cap nut, it looks good and is out of the way.

I'll take a pic in the next day or two....

capeguy

Reaction score
Hey Parthery,
Not sure I follow. Is it horizontal? Pix would be great if you get a chance.

Thx...

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to get the cover off and take a pic today...will do so tomorrow.

To answer your question...yes...its horizontal. When you open the door to the console and look in, you can see the electronics box. By mounting it here, its up out of the way, yet I can grab it in an instant it I need it.

capeguy

Reaction score
Did you use the mount that comes with the extinguisher or another? THX

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used the mount that came with it.

I'll take a pic tonight and post it.

Brian L

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have mine mounted to the inside of the console door. If you go to West Marine's website and search "Kidde Fire Extinguisher" and take a look at the picture, I have the Mariner 5 with a bracket similar to the one on Mariner 110 in the picture. I took a few pictures of my setup but can't figure out how to post them here.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I would mount it where easily accessible in the event of an electrical fire behind the instrument panel in the wiring nest or a fuel fire in the aft bilge ... :?

capeguy

Reaction score
Brian,
I assume you simply screwed the bracket in to the door after drilling some pilotholes? I have the same kidde model with the bracket it came with. Any strength issues with the bracket?
Thx

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here is the pic...and yes I know I have a wire hanging down (to the horn)...looks like the wiretie broke. I'll fix it this weekend. :shock:

I drilled all the way through but ran the screws from the inside of the ebox back through to the bracket. Looks better that way. And the plastic bracket is plenty strong....

FireExt.JPG

Brian L

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score