Spots on deck

kesslerdel

Reaction score
I have a 209 Grady white and at times get brown specks on my deck ( non skid) and I have tried to use soft scrub and hard bristle brush but to no avail. I was thinking about using chorlox or lacquar thinner but that might damage the finish I think. If anyone has a solution to this I sure would appreicate it very much as I think all Grady Whites so be clean as new :) . I want people to see my Grady White as thee class boat and nothing less. Thank you all and have a blessed day.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the board.

For really tough stains I used BarKeeper's Friend and a green scotchbrite scrub pad. Both are available at the grocery store.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've found the Mr Clean Eraser sponges work pretty well on some of these types of stains. I just make sure and rinse it well and use Woody Wax to protect.

kesslerdel

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Grady white said to try Acetone or vinger. I did use the Acetone and it worked well. I did use the Barkeepers and it worked where the Acetone didn't. I didn't get a chance to use the eraser but will have to get one. Reminder to those who read this that I used it on the nonskid of the gunwale and the deck on the hull. Thanks again and may you all have a blessed day. :D

seasick

Reaction score
Be careful with the Magic Eraser. It is a lot more abrasive than it looks and can wear down the finish.
I have posted the following many times but will do so again: For some unknown reason, I get much better results cleaning spots off my non skid when I use a rag. It works much better than a brush or sponge.
Also rub in the direction of the grooves, one way and then 90 degrees in the opposing grooves.
And yes, sometimes soap works, sometime acetone works and sometimes an abrasive cleaner like BarKeepers. If the spoy is mildew or mold, the DEP mildew remover works very well.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Like Seasick says, a rag works better than sponges, etc., but I've found that microfibre cloths work best on non-skid surfaces. In fact, I use them for most all my cleaning chores.
Gary 93 Gulfstream

seasick

Reaction score
gwwannabe said:
Like Seasick says, a rag works better than sponges, etc., but I've found that microfibre cloths work best on non-skid surfaces. In fact, I use them for most all my cleaning chores.
Gary 93 Gulfstream
Interesting. Most of my 'rags 'are old microfiber towels.