spreader light problem

gillyzonker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally took the plunge and bought a clean 1994 228 seafarer hardtop. I'm in the process of beautifying it and taking care of little problems.

I found that the port side spreader light works well, but the starboard side doesn't work. I bought a new hobbs 50watt 3x5 12 volt bulb and plugged it in only to find that it didn't work. I took out the multimeter and measured that the starboard side was at 10volts while the functioning port side was at 13volts. I'm assuming that 10volts probably is not enough to run a halogen bulb? why do I have a difference in voltage? The wiring appears to be original factory. I checked the fuse.

Any advice is appreciated.

gillyzonker :hmm

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm guessing some sort of high resistance short causing the voltage drop. I'd first check the switch area (usually the dome light on the top of the hardtop) and see if there a connection issue. I'd, then check the wiring at the light assembly before cutting anything. One way to tell if it is the light assembly or the wire is to disconnect the wires or remove the bulb and remove the light assembly from the frame. If there is 13v at the light assembly it is pointing toward the light assembly. If still 10v, I'd start looking at the wiring. Cut the wires to the light assembly and measure the voltage at the wires. If still 10v, I'd start chasing wires. If 12v, then the light assembly is bad. If the light, you can get some real nice led replacement lights. These mount the same way (sold on this site) and from what I understand throw a lot of light. Good luck.