Spring launch checklist?

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
Any recommendations/checklists for items to check/change on motor/boat before I launch my 268 Islander with 2001 OX66 250HP Yami? I would like to give a go at getting her ready myself this year vs. paying my marina $$$$ to prep her.

Thanks for your input....

freddy063

Reaction score
This is what I check and do. Check seacock valves, through hulls and hoses, clean out bilge pumps and test. On motors, if needed, change water pumps, zincs, grease shaft ,fuel filters, check fuel and oil lines, lube all fitting and cables. Change spark plugs, check all wiring for looseness, change lower unit oil, remove prop and check seal, install new cotter pin. Spray a light coat of fogging oil over motor block for salt protection. Clean all battery connections charge all batteries and reinstall. Check radios , gauges, controls, steering for proper working. There is a lot of little thing that I check and look at but it a 100% top to bottom checks.

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
Thanks I hadnt even thought about changing prop cotter pin, but very logical. I had a guy (by the name of "boat doctor")servicing the boat, and I felt he did not do as thorough a job as I would have. Last time he did not line up the lower unit "gear shaft" and I got stuck in the harbor after attempting to launch. I told myself, I will winterize and summerize the boat myself from now on, and there is no better way to learn your equipment than doing it yourself. Question, what is the process of fogging the engine (where do you put the spray nozzle? Do you run the motor afterwards.....etc....

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ditto - Fredo pretty much covered the entire Yamaha list of maintenance items in 4 lines, saving you thirty bucks for the manual. Only thing to add - start icing down the Heinekens.

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
thanks hot. they are in the fridge ready to go. thats the beauty of the internet and blog sites.

freddy063

Reaction score
Let me make my self more clear, the fogging oil I buy is oil that comes out on the can very liquidly but when it dry is turns into a thin grease filmy covering, which works well as a protecting coating. Most people buy the more expensive oil that is made for protecting. Therefore, in the spring I use it as cleaning coating oil on the block and other parts of the motor. I all so found that it is a great bicycle chain cleaner and lube. Nevertheless, in the fall is when I fog the motors before storing, that is why I change the plugs after I start it in the spring. In the fall, my motors have carbs, fuel injection you just and fuel additive and fog the cylinders, then crank it over once or twice. Once my boat is in for the season it stays in until fall, so before splashing I try do all that cannot be done on the water.