Stains on Outside Cabin

sluggoe

Reaction score
have a 2002 sailfish and the black rubber gasket that wraps around the base of the windshield (where it meets the fiberglass cabin structure) is causing black stains/streaks to run down the side of the cabin when it rains.....probably due due to the rubber's old age or from being constantly exposed to the sun.

the black rubber strip is about an inch or so wide.

anybody seen this b4, and what can you do.....can it be replaced by a do-it-urselfer or by the dealer...or cleaned with something to rejuvenate the rubber??

--sluggoe.

billydoos fishing always

Reaction score
removing black streaks

Hey sluggo you can buy a product called BLACK STREAK REMOVER<I bought it at an rv place its about 25 dollars but im telling you it works awesome as for replacing the rubber you might want to take it in for that one.

tight lines

sluggoe

Reaction score
ok thanks a lot....will try it.
--sluggoe.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Remember, most black streak removers will remove some of the wax you applied, making the streaks stick easier. Best way to fight it is to apply extra coats of wax to this area to keep the black streaks from sticking, I've gotten them too, but now wash the boat once a week in those areas with orpine's soap with wax and they seem to have stopped for the most part. I also use woody wax about 2 times during the season on the boat to keep it beeding, it goes on really easy and quicker then wax but does not last more then a month or two.

Best bet is pre season wax this area with an extra coat or two, and use a soap with a wax in it during the seasn to help protect this area from holding the streak, if it does form at all it will wipe off with ease as if it were dust. Haven't found a way to stop the streaks all together, I think the heat somehow breaks the gasket down to leak a chemical somehow when it rains or is washed. I had the gaskets under my antennnas do the same thing so I chaulked them water tight to prevent them, but cannot chaulk the windows in a neat fashion to stop them.

sluggoe

Reaction score
Response to Your Reply

ok thanks.

i am also going to try meguiar's #57 vinyl/rubber cleaner and portector to see if this will rejuvenate the rubber enough so it won't bleed the black stuff anymore

--sluggoe 2002 282 sailfish F225's