Stamoid 12.5 oz top material

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grady White is using a material called Stamoid Vinyl on some of their tops. I like it because it is stronger than the bimini top material and much lighter than the fiberglass top. Cheaper too. I have seen this on two 2011 GW boats. Stamoid can be found on a Google search. I am considering having a top made of this to replace the bimini on my 228G. I do not know if this can be ordered from GW or the cost. But, online it is $26.50 per yard for the 12.5 oz product. Any comments will be appreciated.

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pardon the double post, I should say that I was considering having a custom top built to replace the bimini top. I did not want to add the weight of a hardtop but wanted the appearance of a hardtop. Cloth would be an option, but to me, just looks wrong on a Grady. This Stamoid stuff looks like a very thin fiberglass and Grady is using it this year. It is a material that is coated on both sides with vinyl. Like cloth you cannot stand on it. It is fully waterproof. Again, unlike cloth.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I had the enclosure on my Marlin redone I opted for Stamoid - I just prefer the look and color. I think the maintenance is a bit easier that Sunbrella canvas as well and since I went with a cream color there is no noticable fading either. Great material.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi - my two pennies....

The white material used on the enclosure is Stamoid, the older blue was a sunbrella like material.
The new hardtop may start as Stamoid, but it is treated on both sides as indicated in the initial post. I like it better than a the usual bimini material. I think it looks cheezy on a GW to be honest. For the price of the boat, it should be glass in my opinion. I'd also be afraid that someone would end up poking a hole in the top and then I'd really be ticked. Good luck.

seasick

Reaction score
A few things to consider: Do you have side curtains today and if so do you plan on still using them?
Note that I am referring to vinyls and canvases when using the term 'cloth'

Take into account how the new top will be attached. Many cloth tops are strung in like a trampoline. It makes then taught which is good, but they can be leaky in the rain.
Whatever cloth you use if will weather less elegantly then fiberglass. Bird poop stains are tougher to remove. If treated the cloth will repel stains for a while but it may be difficult treat if permanently mounted. If it gets a tear it is tough to repair.

You can't mount equipment on if if needed, like antennas.

I remember when Regulator came out with a new line of WAs two years ago. When I saw the cloth tops I said to myself " Gee on a boat this costly, that tops just looks cheap"

My choice would be a hard top.