Stanchion base repair

Odie

Reaction score
The stanchion bases supporting the bow rail on my 79, 20' Overnighter are corroded and cracking. I plan to remove the old bases and replace them as it is now unsafe. A body hitting it hard will cause it to fail. The rail itself, uprights and connectors are fine. There is no way to access the bolts/screws from below since the hull/deck meet in such a way as to deny any access. :x

I began to drill out the screws holding the stanchion bases to the deck. Problem is they are all loose and all they do when I drill them is spin around. I don't see any way to cut underneath the bases without damaging the glass. Any ideas as to how to get these removed?

After removal, I'll see what I have for holes and decide how to install new bases. If anyone has done this I'd love to hear how it worked out.

Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Have you tried the various entrance ways to get to them, with flexible rachet extensions and various universal joints and solid extensions ?

From the cabin side as well as the anchor locker, open the front end of the cabin, take down the wall, see what you can reach.

It will be a two man job.

Odie

Reaction score
I'll look into that. Seems like that may be the only entrance point but even then, it is a stretch.

Anyone else done this?

Odie

Reaction score
I'll look into that. Seems like that may be the only entrance point but even then, it is a stretch.

Anyone else done this?