Star Tron is THE Ticket

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Haven't run my baby in about 3 mos. Went down for a visit this wknd, and did some maintenance. One of the jobs was fuel-water separator, which wasn't done in two years. OK, I'm negligent. But the gas in the old filter smelled as fresh as it did when I pumped it in months ago. I used Star Tron, and I can say I'm sold. In fact the gas smelled so good, I put a dab behind the First Mate's ear when I got home.

Bill_N

Reaction score
You're pushing your luck, and you may have water in your tank that won't show up until you start running the boat. Startron alone won't stabilize your fuel and keep water out of it. Not changing your separators is definately neglect - you're right about that.

seasick

Reaction score
My boat is usually in storage for 5 months. I only add Stabil for winter storage and have never had a problem with starting, running or water. I do not fill the tank before lay up either. If it starts and runs in the spring, I change filters and top off with fresh fuel from the street, not fuel docks. I do not want to fill up on gas that has been sitting all winter.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good point on the gas from the street versus gas at the marina. However, my marina has commercial fisherman coming in all winter, so I'm pretty sure it's fresh gas. And the best part - it's ethanol-free.

seasick

Reaction score
bayrat said:
Star Tron claims that it also stabilizes fuel and you need not add a separate product.
Startron and RingFree are two different beast with different purposes. I aleays use RingFree to keep carbon buildup to a minimum. I only use stabilizers for winter storage.

jellyfish

Reaction score
I use both Star Tron and Ring Free and have enjoyed both. :goodjob

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seasick..agreed. I use both as well. My post should have been clearer. When I said "no other product" I should have said "no other stabilizer" as some people apparently use both StarTron and Stabil. I just noticed the "stabilizer" claim on the StarTron recently, but I'm not sure if it has always been there or it's something new.