Starboard or wood?

JeffN

Reaction score
I have a few spring projects on the Grady and one is replacing the panel at the rear of the cockpit. On my I/O the panel goes from a couple of inches above the deck and runs up about 22" IIRC and is as wide as the cockpit. I have replaced this panel once and it is time to redo it. I was looking into Starboard but would think that that is heavier than wood, just rebuilding it with coated marine ply or I see that Starboard has a product called Starboard XL (I think) that is lighter than standard Starboard. The Starboard appleals to me because I would think if I use that product I am done, ply I might be doing it again in the future. The way that the panel is bolted to the fiberglass along the top the panel I don't think it can not be too structural. So what is the best way to go Starboard, wood or has anyone experience with the Starboard XL.

JeffN

Reaction score
Yeah got that but I don't think Starboard was available, or at least I had never heard of it, when I replaced the panel many years ago. My replacement did last a lot longer than the original. I had overcoated it with glass. My main concern is weight, with the price of gas why add weight.

Coconut330

Reaction score
Starboard is about the same weight as wood. It has been around for a while. Most new boat builders use it. Weight difference is not enough to use more fuel.

JeffN

Reaction score
Well I have been doing some research and the jury is still out. From what I have found Starboard is going to be about twice as heavy as wood. I have found a good source but the problem is getting the piece to my neck of the woods for a reasonable price. The piece I need is approximately 8' X 2' so according to suppliers the piece is oversize for UPS. I have to purchse an entire 96" X 54" sheet which will involve a lot of extra but I may be able to sell the extra or use it somewhere else. Getting anything shipped by truck to my location is silly expensive. I will try to get a shipping estimate this week. I'm sure the Starboard will make a great long lasting panel but I may have to go to the ply, this week I'll focus on getting an idea of how much that will cost me. I have to recore the deck over the fuel tank so I will be purchasing resin and cloth anyway, the coated ply may be my answer. The last one I made has lasted almost 20 years, the next replacement won't be my problem.

tiderunner

Reaction score
Try J.C. Freeman in Dorchester MA. I know they will cut any size that you would need. Im not sure if they ship. But I could do it for you. Im in that area all the time. Best thing would for you to find a contractor working on the island that has material brought over weekly and have them add it to their load. I did this all the time when working on the Vineyard a few years back. A round of beeers for the crew at the local watering hole was good enough payment for me.

http://www.jfreeman.com/

seasick

Reaction score
One thing to consider is that Starboard expands and contracts more than plywood. For every foot of length or width, it will expand (contract) 1/32 in for a 40 degree F temp swing. So if you live in an area where it gets near zero in the winter and 110 in the sun in summer, a 5 foot long panel will change a little less than 1/2 inch in length. So if the application needs call for a sealed installation with no or a small expansion gap, I wouldn't use the polymer but would go with marine plywood and glass.
Also note that Starboard should not be exposed to temps over 180 degrees F. That shouldn't be a problem unless there is exhaust gasses in contact or close proximity to something that radiates heat like a grill.

JeffN

Reaction score
Tiderunner and Seasick thanks for the replys. I am aware of the expansion issue and think I would be OK but it is a point well taken. I am concerend about the heat issue but did not know the the damage point. I was going to call King back but you saved me a call - thanks. Tiderunner I appreciate the offer of shipping, one of the suppliers suggested by King Starboard is up in Hingham IIRC and he has a truck down to the Cape several times a week. I would just need to get it shipped over from there. My current thinking is to just do the panel with glass coated ply. It will cost a lot less and be more straight forward than the Starboard. Using either material I can do the project myself so that is not an issue. I just think that I can crank out the ply version with less expense and hassle and I have another glass project too. The other issue with Starboard is that I have to buy a whole sheet and knowing myself pretty well at this point I'm sure I would find uses for all of it on the boat. Keeping it simple and in perspective is the way to go.

Thanks again guys.

trophy25

Reaction score
Hi,
I replaced mine a few years back on a 25' trophy and glad that I used starboard. I'm not positive, but I think it's 3/8" and not that heavy. I noticed that you were concerned with weight and I had a piece of 3/4" that I was going to make a swim platform with. It was so heavy I changed my mind and made one out of mahogney which was a fraction of the weight. However the 3/8" is much lighter.

I keep my boat in Marshfield and you could check it out. I think I noticed that you were in Hingham.

john

JeffN

Reaction score
Sorry Trophy 25 I thought I had responded to this but evidently I had not. Thanks for the offer I would enjoy checking it out but I am out on the islands and don't get away this time of year very often, too busy with work. I think I am going to go with glassed plywood. I checked out Starbaord and it is expensive and just too hard to get it here. The previous replacement lasted years and the guy who did it for me did not do a very good job. I think I may use Starbaord for the small pieces on either side though. I hope to get into that this weekend. Weekends have still been cold down here even under the boat cover but the forecast looks good for this weekend and I got a lot of yard work done already. Boat time.