Starter Issues? Outboard help.

mlaforge

Reaction score
I have an '89 Yamaha 130 on our 19' Tournament that has always run very well. I was testing the engine to prepare for launch this weekend and I get nothing. I'm wondering if its my starter. All other functions (battery, choke, gas, etc) are fine but the flywheel doesn't move at all but I hear electronics strain as if something is frozen (starter, flywheel, etc.). Any ideas? I have an outboard guy coming this week but would like to have an idea if its something I could troubleshoot/fix myself. Thanks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Place a voltmeter on the battery and watch it while you crank, does it drop or not?

Remake your starter battery connections,could be a bad joint. Check the connections to the selector swicth.

Does the engine flywheel turn by hand? Be carefull up there.

That's a start.

catch22

Reaction score
First... is your safety lanyard, (disconnect) hooked up?.... next, is your battery ok, (charged)? if they're ok, I would check, (clean and tighten) your connections. Battery cables, heavy ground cable on motor, solonoid to starter cable, etc. Then move to the smaller cables on the solonoid. Lastly, the ignition switch. If all connections are ok, I would check the ignition switch itself, then the solonoid, then the starter.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Same subject posted in the other forum?

Driving me crazy.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If other's suggestions haven't worked, can you turn the flywheel manually? (Make sure the key is off first, before trying). If you can, at least you know the engine isn't seized.

If it's hard to turn, or can't be turned, you have bigger problems. Pull the plugs, and with a flashlight, look inside the cylinders. How does it look? Was this engine properly winterized (e.g. fogged)?.