State shut downs and marinas

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I find it difficult to understand the stupidity and arrogance, yes used in the same sentence, of those who believe that it is somehow ok to flaunt the the rules of isolation and social distancing. Are these special people from a race immune to this virus? Or once again are we dealing with THE FACT, you absolutely cannot fix BRAIN DEAD STUPID??? I agree with seasick ,"putting yourself at serious risk is best stupid".... but putting others at risk of death should result in a severe penalty. Ok a bit if a heavy rant, but these are heavy times we must get through TOGETHER, so those who have yet to discover and practise the rules of life right now.... GET ON IT!!

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Word today by fellow member JJMag is you get caught fishing in a mixed boat (not living in the same household) in SF Bay the Dept.of Fish & Wildlife are writing people tickets at a tune of $400/person.

#gettingreel

The liberal quacks up there really have nothing else to do?

Reactions: JJMag

seasick

Reaction score
To be fair ( not my strong point at times) I think that some folks are in denial and I can understand that. Irresponsible behavior may be due to that denial. It's human nature. Then again there is just plain STUPID:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have a strong suspicion that if everyone in the US was tested, we would find that a vast majority of folks have already been exposed and a large percent of the population had minor symptoms. If this thing is as contagious as they say, my guess it was around for a few months before we even knew about it.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If the majority of the population had already been exposed to the disease, the outbreak would be slowing way down and burn out. That's what is called herd immunity. Unfortunately, the number of new cases and deaths is still increasing exponentially. That tells us that we are a long way from herd immunity. We are only about 4 weeks into the epidemic in the US.

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Agreed,

There are so many silent carriers that are exposing without knowledge. Jump a month forward and we ain't seen nothing yet :(

Reactions: JJMag

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
"There are so many silent carriers that are exposing without knowledge." That is a good point and all the more reason to practise social distancing etc. None of us know, until symptoms show, if we are carriers and I do believe some are carrier without symptoms. Yes... we are all in this together and if we all pay attention to the medical professionals protocols , maybe just maybe, hopefully find a summer on the water leaving this misery well behind.
So good to hear member are finding things to do on their "yachts" to keep busy and keep the mind focused on the positive.

Reactions: leeccoll

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Florida Governor so far has left it up to counties. Palm Beach County has closed all marinas and boat ramps. The exception, for now, is that charter fisherman can still operate.

JerseySure

Reaction score
Website
www.psywarrior.com
Model
Fisherman 216
This is the rule on my 216 GW Fisherman, until it all blows over. One guy in the bow, one in the stern, and I am at the helm. This way we maintain a safe distance from each other until July when it should all be over. That is if it doesn't come back in the fall Striper season. Haven't figured out use of the gaff or fluke net yet while maintaining safe distances.

Fishtales

Reaction score
"There are so many silent carriers that are exposing without knowledge." That is a good point and all the more reason to practise social distancing etc. None of us know, until symptoms show, if we are carriers and I do believe some are carrier without symptoms. Yes... we are all in this together and if we all pay attention to the medical professionals protocols , maybe just maybe, hopefully find a summer on the water leaving this misery well behind.
So good to hear member are finding things to do on their "yachts" to keep busy and keep the mind focused on the positive.

This is spot on. I think there are far more carriers out there and even with social distancing, many of us have been exposed or are a potential carrier. Hopefully a quick inexpensive test comes out so everyone can be tested.

Reactions: JerseySure

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My 82-year-old dad has symptoms, got tested and it has now been ten days and he still doesn't have results back. They are that backlogged where he lives (St. Louis area). We were caught very much unprepared for this. Fortunately for him, he is actually starting to feel a bit better on his own.

• Sad
Reactions: Jargon and leeccoll

JerseySure

Reaction score
Website
www.psywarrior.com
Model
Fisherman 216
My 82-year-old dad has symptoms, got tested and it has now been ten days and he still doesn't have results back. They are that backlogged where he lives (St. Louis area). We were caught very much unprepared for this. Fortunately for him, he is actually starting to feel a bit better on his own.
Sorry to hear your news. Continue to Wash hands, don't touch face, mouth, keep safe distances, stay hydrated, monitor body temperature and blood Oxygen levels.Listen to and follow your doctor's instructions. Eventually get blood test to see if you recovered from Covid-19 might mean you had a mild case and now are possibly immune. This might not end they said today until August before it will start up again in the fall.

donna hiebert

Reaction score
Not that this is by any means a priority, but I was wondering if marinas would be impacted when states go into lock down. Stay safe everyone!

From my personal point of view, there will definitely be an influence issue here. Whether politically or economically, it will affect the marina and all of us. But the marina activities I think will be open but not as exciting as usual. Because we need to repair boats that are having problems at the wharf, it will either sink the ship and affect the wharf.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree. Everyone will change aspects of their lives and how they interact. Companies will seek act in ways to protect themselves from liability and suits. It's going to be a whole new world.
One way everyone can capitalize.
Institute WFH and video conferencing. People have large screen TVs. Incorporate into home offices. Have employees hotel at work more. 2 people per office. 6mo you wor 3D in the office, your office buddy 2. Next 6 mo switch. 50% office space reduction. Work to get governments to offer incentives to get cars off the road. GHG down, office space opens, cost goes down, less commuting etc. Could change the way we work and play.
For marinas, think ahead. Space out launch times. It could expose a whole set of inefficiencies like one piece flow did for manufacturing. The idea is move people in sequence as fast as possilbe.
Who knows it is a change, but it can be a good change if embraced.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Our liberal Democratic Gov in Michigan just shut down all boating....

Lsquared

Reaction score
I agree. Everyone will change aspects of their lives and how they interact. Companies will seek act in ways to protect themselves from liability and suits. It's going to be a whole new world.
One way everyone can capitalize.
Institute WFH and video conferencing. People have large screen TVs. Incorporate into home offices. Have employees hotel at work more. 2 people per office. 6mo you wor 3D in the office, your office buddy 2. Next 6 mo switch. 50% office space reduction. Work to get governments to offer incentives to get cars off the road. GHG down, office space opens, cost goes down, less commuting etc. Could change the way we work and play.
For marinas, think ahead. Space out launch times. It could expose a whole set of inefficiencies like one piece flow did for manufacturing. The idea is move people in sequence as fast as possilbe.
Who knows it is a change, but it can be a good change if embraced.
Been watching my marina on the cam and it seems business as usual, as if nothing is even going on right now

seasick

Reaction score
I wonder if the next 6 months or so will see higher boat prices or lower ones. I suppose I could present reasons for both possibilities.

seasick

Reaction score
Over this past weekend, NYS announced the reopening of boat yards and marinas. My club still needs the official OK from the Parks Department but we suspect that will be very soon. So at the moment, work is allowed on boats but not launching until the official approval. Of course, appropriate actions relating to protective equipment and social distancing is mandatory. It appears that non commercial boating activities will be permitted but there are guidelines as to who is allowed on a vessel. Right now it seems that family members residing together are permitted to boat together.
At least I will be able soon to do some prep work and get the boat ready for launch.