Steering malfunction

A-T-Sea

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Is anyone having steering malfunction with the Yamaha helm master ex? I have a 2021 Canyon 306 with twin 300hp and is still under warranty. I am unable to use the joystick or any of its features. While cruising, have to power the boat completely down then restart the system every 15-20 minutes. Dealership replaced the starboard steering control module in August. Now they have the port SCM on back order. Starting to get annoyed. The dealership has had the boat nearly as much as I have. Nothing against Grady, all issues have been with Yamaha. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if they might know of a fix action.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would check all connections and any software updates. I’ve seen this be a problem on controls and can be difficult to run down.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Yesterday, a Yamaha tech was telling me about this exact issue on a 336 with trips...the electronics at the steering ram could be the issue. I am assuming this is different than the SCM; if it's the same, then please disregard, as you are already aware of it. Good luck with it.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I have a 2019 335 Freedom with 3x Yamaha 300F with less than 200 hours on the clock.
I have repeatedly experienced steering malfunctions when leaving dock or coming back, ie at low speed in close quarters. Generally it has happened without using the joystick but taking off and using the two outboard motors to steer with. Center motor stays idling. The motor runs but the steering is locked or works for only one or two motors. Always either port or starboard engines lock up.
I don't have a thruster so it is really painful to get the boat back to dock, the marina guys do a good job in assisting.
So I asked the Yamaha guy at the FLIBS about it and he recommended to check batteries as it often is a question of low battery, well not in my case the boat this morning came off the charger and it still happened.
He also showed me a retrofit kit that would replace the hydraulic ones with an electric rams at the motors kind of like the new motors have.

Anymore experience with this issue as I have not yet contacted a dealer but I am under warranty still and I hope it would cover also the steering parts and not only the motors.
posting as new thread.

Last edited:

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
If it makes you feel any better, my neighbor has had a lot of trouble with his Mercury Verado 300’s. He’s had both steering issues and throttle sequencing issues. IMHO I’d rather have straight electric steering with a bow thruster. I think the joysticks are a sales tool that cause too many cycles on the shifting and steering mechanisms.

Reactions: wbdenamur

Fishtales

Reaction score
Excessive or immature technology means a lot of gremlins. Hopefully some folks with the same set up can get you pointed in the right direction.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
exact thing I worry about with fancy tech...we are overboard at this point...I will take my cables and seastar....flawless 21 years...

r

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Marlin 300. I replaced my original Yamaha f225s with new Yamaha f250s in 2020. Kept hydraulic steering and cable shift and throttle. I believe in the less tech the better. I did install a bow thruster. Best money ever spent. I’d rather fish instead of spending time waiting on a repair…

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Update on situation:
removed all batteries to check them out. Put them back in after all tested like new. A PIA job, with all the heavy gauge wires / cables etc.
Anyway took a day and a half sweating bullets.
After a few days I launched boat at marina and cranked the engines, Only one started.....turned on all batteries and all started without further error messages of low voltage and no ECU or PCU connected.
Lift truck back into shed and let it sit for a day or so.
Reasoning that some breaker must be off, maybe one I cannot find, maybe a poor contact at some battery etc.......
Testing for power off batteries and all test fine up to circuit breakers so nothing there.
I decide to rip them all out anyway and what did I find, #3 BATTERY MINUS BUS CONNECTION WAS NOT ON!!!!!!!!!! So the thick negative cable that runs the back of the batteries was connected to 1,2 and 4 but 3 was loose/off.
Ok back to getting them installed again and I try in shed to turn on ignition. All fine, I start "All" and miraculously they all start in normal sequence. Of course immediately shut off as there is no cooling water around.
So that is where I am now, over the weekend I make a new try to go out and hope that all works .

H

seasick

Reaction score
Not reconnecting the negative common batter cable is a common occurrence.
With regard to your testing; You should never start your motor without water, never. Just a few seconds seconds could fry a dry impeller.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Fishtales

Reaction score
Frequently connected/disconnected wiring points not tight, loose/bad grounds and ground loops all can cause a lot of distress. Glad you figured it out.

GradyTodd

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Recently ran in to this issue. I was getting low voltage alarm on port engine SCU. Turned out to be disconnected negative lead. After replacing deep cycle batteries and fixing issue with disconnected battery cable, the issue went away. That same day, was out in 3-5ft close seas and made it home without issue. Next day had starboard side flag a malfunction and to go to bypass. Steering would return after restarting. Any stress on system would trip the malfunction. Will check all cables and connections are tight and tied before heading out again. Boat is under 100 hours on 2015 motors. Makes me miss plain hydraulic steering if this is what I have to look forward to.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Unfortunately for us they have improved the new system to be all electric. There is a retrofit Yamaha told me but have not looked into what all is involved on top of the motor mounted electrical module AND price is a big ?
Going to keep batteries connected and charged and hope to the sea gods that it all continues to function. So far so good.

H

aussie 306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi , was just wondering if you ( or anyone ) has been able to work out a fix for this issue , I have a 2019 306 and i am having a similar issue . Yamaha have replaced the SCU twice now and i am starting to get the steering fault again . My research online says it's either low voltage or poor connectors .....i pulled the connector off and put it back on and it worked again so i think it's poor connectors ....just looking for an answer as Yamaha seem t be out of answers ...i believe the 2nd gen helm master is much better .

GradyTodd

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Here is what I have learned through the process of trying to get this figured out. After taking the boat to dealer, apparently the original Helmmaster system does not retain any error codes in the computer so they could not diagnose any problems. If you have this issue while driving boat, photograph any messages you get on your smart display so you can provide information to your tech. My dealer has Yamaha master technicians and not even they can work on the system at all because Yamaha bought this system from Volvo and only Yamaha factory techs have the tools to do any work on the system. You have to insist that the dealer schedule a Yamaha factory tech come and perform any upgrades to the firmware available, because the dealer cannot do this. Yamaha will not schedule their factory tech over phone, it has to be the dealer who contacts them. When the factory tech’s knowledge run out they have to call Volvo in Europe to get further assistance. The dealer’s YDS computer cannot work on the original Helmmaster system. This is a problem Yamaha needs to correct badly. They need to make information about this system public.

In my case, the issue appears to have been voltage related and after replacing batteries, fixing battery charger (blown fuse on battery lead from charger), and making sure batteries are fully charged, I have not had a recurrence. Fingers crossed! Because entering the pass by my home port during tidal swings can be challenging with fully functioning steering, let alone have a trip at wrong time.

I did pull connectors and clean contacts with CRC and then applied thin coat of dielectric grease to pins and seals before reseating for good measure. Be sure to use plastic safe contact cleaner. You also want to be sure battery lead to SCU is tight, corrosion free, on both ends. The battery lead is distinguished by being the much more flexible cable to the battery, it may have a label on it as well indicating SCU.

Yamaha did publish a Troubleshooting Guide for Helmmaster that appears out of print. If anyone has it, I would really like to read it. I have read the rigging guides, traced all wiring from helm to stern, and checked all connections. I could not find fault in the wiring itself.

aussie 306

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Than
Here is what I have learned through the process of trying to get this figured out. After taking the boat to dealer, apparently the original Helmmaster system does not retain any error codes in the computer so they could not diagnose any problems. If you have this issue while driving boat, photograph any messages you get on your smart display so you can provide information to your tech. My dealer has Yamaha master technicians and not even they can work on the system at all because Yamaha bought this system from Volvo and only Yamaha factory techs have the tools to do any work on the system. You have to insist that the dealer schedule a Yamaha factory tech come and perform any upgrades to the firmware available, because the dealer cannot do this. Yamaha will not schedule their factory tech over phone, it has to be the dealer who contacts them. When the factory tech’s knowledge run out they have to call Volvo in Europe to get further assistance. The dealer’s YDS computer cannot work on the original Helmmaster system. This is a problem Yamaha needs to correct badly. They need to make information about this system public.

In my case, the issue appears to have been voltage related and after replacing batteries, fixing battery charger (blown fuse on battery lead from charger), and making sure batteries are fully charged, I have not had a recurrence. Fingers crossed! Because entering the pass by my home port during tidal swings can be challenging with fully functioning steering, let alone have a trip at wrong time.

I did pull connectors and clean contacts with CRC and then applied thin coat of dielectric grease to pins and seals before reseating for good measure. Be sure to use plastic safe contact cleaner. You also want to be sure battery lead to SCU is tight, corrosion free, on both ends. The battery lead is distinguished by being the much more flexible cable to the battery, it may have a label on it as well indicating SCU.

Yamaha did publish a Troubleshooting Guide for Helmmaster that appears out of print. If anyone has it, I would really like to read it. I have read the rigging guides, traced all wiring from helm to stern, and checked all connections. I could not find fault in the wiring itself.
Thank you so much, very helpful ...i tend to think is a voltage problem on mine as well ..any chance you could post the rigging guides ..or point me in the direction so i can show my marine electrician ?