Steering wheel cap replacement

nightfighter

Reaction score
The cap/cover in the middle of my wheel came off. One of the three plastic tangs broke off. Probaly a fifty cent piece, that will cost ten bucks, shipped. I see that it was stamped with 'Atwood', but cant find Atwood wheels or part in the catalogs. Any suggestions? Contact Grady? How? Doesn't have a set screw. From a 93 Escape. Thanks

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Same issue here. Called Attwood and they gave me the part number and told me that West Marine could special order the part for me. It wasn't really what I wanted to hear, I was hoping they would sell/give me one directly. The part number is on my desk at work. I'll make sure to post tomorrow when I'm in the office the number given to me.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Strikezone said:
Same issue here. Called Attwood and they gave me the part number and told me that West Marine could special order the part for me. It wasn't really what I wanted to hear, I was hoping they would sell/give me one directly. The part number is on my desk at work. I'll make sure to post tomorrow when I'm in the office the number given to me.

That is great news since 2 of my local dealers said that Attwood discontinued the part and it is not available. Siliconed mine into place then taped it on a temp basis till it cured..

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I found a teak center piece to replace mine. I think it was a Sea Choice product.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The part number that Attwood gave me was 8324-1 Center Cap. They said West Marine could special order it. I've had this on my desk for a month or two and never remember to bring it when I'm in West Marine. Hopefully the part won't be too expensive.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Strikezones...Thanks for the info on the cap. Ordered from West Marine today for $6.50 plus $6.95 for shipping. Ordered one for my fishing bud as well. Thanks again......

nightfighter

Reaction score
I went into WM today. They couldn't find it in their catalog, nor computer. Had to do a special request order. Is that what you did? Even with the Atwood part number, they needed a WM number. Supposed to call me back when they get the info from HQ....

nightfighter

Reaction score
Local West Marine still has not heard back from HQ with a part number, price, or availability. Any way you might be able to get WM part number or some info from your special order invoice for me?

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
nightfighter said:
Local West Marine still has not heard back from HQ with a part number, price, or availability. Any way you might be able to get WM part number or some info from your special order invoice for me?

Did anybody actually get the item yet???

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Received Atwood part # 8324-1 center cap ordered through West Marine. Had thought (hoped) it would fit the 15" 25 degree wheel (8652-1) supplied to GW for the 2000 272 Sailfish and others. No luck. Have returned part.

Atwood now says they haven't made that steering wheel in a very long time and have no parts.

Will probably have to modify something. Any suggestions?

Fishtales

Reaction score
You could always go with the 3 spoke Schmidt that GW uses now or a new destroyer spoke model. Pretty easy change out.