Steering Wheel Removal Advice

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2006 Grady White 282 Sailfish, I would like to replace the existing steering wheel with a new gemlux steering wheel. From what I can tell the wheel is held on by the center chrome lug nut. I've tried using a vice grip but had no luck. The nut measures 1-5/8", so i plan on getting a socket for that size. I also tried popping of the nut thinking it might be a cap, but couldn't get it off. Anyone have experience removing this type of steering wheel, see photos?

Attachments

• IMG_6199.jpg
    IMG_6199.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6200.jpg
    IMG_6200.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6201.jpg
    IMG_6201.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6202.jpg
    IMG_6202.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A small pipe wrench worked for me. Just pad the teeth with a towel or some small strips of rubber so not to mar the nut up as you will probably re-use it. A decent size crescent wrench might work also.

Reactions: vinpaa

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had to remove the steering wheel on my 2000 272 Sailfish and it was a living hell. Busted 2 pullers until I finally got it off. Good luck!

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Grease the shaft after you get it off and put the new one on. You probably know that already tho.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was able to get the cap off with a big channel lock pliers and a rag. I used an adjustable crutch to hold the wheel in place.

The hard part was getting the wheel off of the shaft. After no luck at all using a puller, I sprayed the outside and inside ends of the shaft with Corrosion X (the thin stuff in the red can). The next day I rapped the end of the shaft with a hammer a few times and was able to pull the wheel off the shaft by hand!

Reactions: Legend

Iamfishy

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I had to use a steering wheel puller, purchased from AutoZone cheap and it worked fine. Next, steering column. The mechanism inside the column itself has play in it and I already purchased a new one. My 18 Fisherman does not have hydraulic steering. Has anyone replaced their steering column on a 18 Fisherman? is it a DIY project? Seems like I can just un-attache the steering cable, remove the column, put the new one in and re-attached the steering cable? Is it that simple?

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
For the record, required socket for a 2006 282 Sailfish steering wheel is a 1-5/8" socket. I bought it on amazon around $10. Also got the 3-leg wheel puller on amazon for $20. Wheel was successfully swapped out and I finally have a suicide knob.