Supports/hydrolic to hold icebox open

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Does anyone know where I can by the supports (not sure of proper name) for the livewells/icebox (circled I'm red below- picture taken from a other users post).
Also looking for the straps to hold the lids closed and some hamlet material of have siggestions (just converted port box to a livewell@ I sealed the top of the box already and ran plumbimg - see my other posts for more info).

I thought there was a post on this but couldn't find it anywhere.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190823_081549.jpg
    20190823_081549.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 17

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What you have pictured is a spring prop. T&H Marine makes a nice one. Should be able to find at your local West Marine.
4593257.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Some lids do use gas springs (hydraulic) -- google that term. But if yours look the same as in the picture, then yes, it's just a simple spring.

McMaster Carr carries A LOT of foam/rubber weatherstripping styles - I'm assuming that's what you're after? Some means of making the box more weatherproof?

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Some lids do use gas springs (hydraulic) -- google that term. But if yours look the same as in the picture, then yes, it's just a simple spring.

McMaster Carr carries A LOT of foam/rubber weatherstripping styles - I'm assuming that's what you're after? Some means of making the box more weatherproof?

I will take look at the hydraulics also, I do not have either currently and looking to add. Not sure if one is easier/better then the other, and if same install for both? Looking for sizes if someone can measure that way I don't have to guess on size that would he awesome.

Thanks- yup, trying to seal the box better (already sealed up portion in the livewell), but hoping to minimize spillage. Will check out mcmaster, trying to figure out how thick I will need but will try with a sponge which should help.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
These are my new spares for my boxes behind the helm seats. They measure 10" from center to center.
Ameritool 625-3-55# is the item number. Stainless Steel hydraulic shock.
20190823_211102.jpg20190823_211048.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The regular springs will be the easiest, but of course the gas springs are cooler looking :)

For the weatherstripping thickness... use some playdoh or putty with waxed paper on the top and bottom of the putty. Close the lid... open the lid... the thickness of the putty is your "air gap". Do that in a couple spots.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The regular springs will be the easiest, but of course the gas springs are cooler looking :)

For the weatherstripping thickness... use some playdoh or putty with waxed paper on the top and bottom of the putty. Close the lid... open the lid... the thickness of the putty is your "air gap". Do that in a couple spots.
Great idea!