swim platform repair

pugmation

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Adventure with a damaged swim platform. See photo.

The hole goes all the way through to the bottom of the platform, and is about 2 inches wide. What would be the best way to repair such a hole, so that it could be re-drilled to pass the attachment bolt through it again? My first thought was Marine Tex putty, but not sure if that would be strong enough to support the weight of swimmers climbing onto the ladder. Thanks.

Attachments

• platform_hole.jpeg
    platform_hole.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1,694

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I backed into a mailbox one time. Found it much easier to order another platform to use with my frame and hardware. Mine is a Detmar from an older model than yours ... :wink:

cedarholm

Reaction score
I think that's a Garelick brand.

Maybe they'll sell you a platform only.

Or cut a new one out of StarBoard.

New Garelicks are about $200.

pugmation

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. From the video, it looks like I should fill in the hole with fiberglass sheets and resin after first grinding out all the broken debris? Would that be stronger than Marine-Tex? I'm also looking into prices and designs at Garelick as an alternative.

bhemi

Reaction score
Marine Tex is a high strength epoxy. It doesn't have any glass in it. I'd take off the hardware and grind back until you are in clean undamaged glass. If you have any signicant depth I think I'd prefer to build it up with layers of wetted glass rather than a thick layer of Marine Tex. Also, when you take it apart you're going to have a good sized hole which pretty much dictates using glass otherwise you'll have to find some sort of backing to hold the epoxy in place while it dries. Glass it all in and re-drill the mounting holes for strength as good as new. I'm no expert so ask around a good shop or boat yard. Also, it is very difficult to gelcoat over epoxy so you might be faced with painting it if you go with Marine Tex. Glass I have done and I have not used Marine Tex.

I like doing things myself and don't mind buying materials or tools knowing I'll use them again. If you have to buy a grinder and sanding blocks and all the supplies the math may dicate just paying someone to do it. I don't believe the damage warrants a replacement.