T223 with F225 Performance Question

slatedog

Reaction score
I have a 2002 T223 with a 2004 Yamaha F225. How much of a performance drain would you expect from putting up a bimini (which I did this summer). It seemed like I lost some RPM and WOT speeed with the bimini alone. When winter came and the rockfish bite was on I added full curtains. As it stands today with the bimini up and full curtains I can barely get to 5000 RPM (by trimming) with low 30's in speed on the gauge. How much performance should the the top and curtains drain from a clean boat? Trying to determine if I migh have some other problem going on or is this normal with top and curtains. Engine seems to run fine, no bogging, etc. The engine only has 115 hours and is equipped with a 10M fuel/water seperator.

JiminGA

Reaction score
It sounds like you may have a prop problem (over-propped) which limits wide open throttle operation. Your F225 should be running 5800 to 6000 RPM at WOT.
Adding curtains, etc., should affect RPMs no more than 100 or so at most in my opinion. If you have the right prop (check with GW customer service to see what they typically used/recommended for the T223), then the next step is a qualified Yammy mechanic get involved to see why your engine is RPM-limited.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I agree w/ Jim in GA. My 225 w/ F250 shows very little difference whether I have bimini or canvas up. There's something else going on. Remember the rule, if you go higher pitch you lower max RPM and if you go lower pitch you raise RPM. Good luck with your diagnosis.

slatedog

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I think there is something else going on as well. I will be taking her to the mechanic for a look see.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Slatedog, I hope you can get a quick resolution to your RPM problem. You should then be seeing 40 - plus MPH once it's fixed.

If you would, please give us a follow-up post and let us know what your mechanic found and what was done to fix the problem. Good luck!