Tackle and Rod Storage in Journey 258

cletus9000

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2005 Grady Journey 258, and love the boat already. But it does not have the tackle storage that I would prefer -- 3-4 drawers either in one place or scattered are all I need for basic terminal tackle, some lures, etc. Any suggestions for how/what/where to add something aftermarket? The rod holders in the cabin, mounted on the sides, also aren't spaced far enough to fit the trolling rods I'd like to keep down there (the rods are too long). I'm thinking of putting some Taco rod holders on the roof, but would like to hear some thoughts from people who have done similar modifications. I sure don't want to create a leak to let water in there anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help, and awesome website.

Reed

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Reed: First, welcome to the forum and congrats on a great boat!

I have wrestled with the same questions and can only share thoughts, because I haven't made any changes yet. I prefer the open space of the starboard tackle compartment over the port tackle drawer. I buy rectangular tupperware containers that fit the compartment well. I can get two containers, side-by-side, stacked three high, for a total of six containers. In the port side drawer, I glued in some small dividers spaced to hold rolls of old 35mm film cannisters (clear Fuji preferred over the black Kodak). I use these to store swivels, crimps, small hooks, etc. I have thought about removing the port tackle drawer and finishing the interior space similar to the starboard compartment. It looks like the starboard door could be made to fit the port side.

I have also thought about installing a tackle tray compartment in the deck, between the seats. I don't have the auxiliary tank, so this space is unused on my boat.

I don't have a good enough idea for rods in the cabin. So instead I have purchased roads that fit.

Rob

cletus9000

Reaction score
Rob,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll look into better utilizing what space there is in the port and starboard containers. My boat has the aux. fuel tank, so installing additional storage between the seats won't work. I'm sure I can mount the rod racks on the roof, I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. I'll make it all work somehow.

Thanks again.

Reed

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Congrats on your 258 choice...here's some thoughts...For the in-cabin trolling rods I lined up two shorter ones in place in the rod holders,made a mark, then drilled approx 2" holes with a hole saw into the anchor locker area. Put some paint on the bare wood then insert a plastic cable guide (Home Depot) like the ones that goes on top of a desk to route computer cables through with little plastic fingers to support cables (rods) to give it a clean look. Look at the cable guide package and it should say the size hole it fits. Now 6.5 to 7 ft. rods fit nicely in the cabin racks......I haven't done this yet but would like to convert the battery selector switch area into (tackle/more junk) storage and move the battery switch just over to the battery compartment wall. Then find a pre-manufactured compartment that will bolt in that spot. The battery compartment does seem to beg to put more stuff in there in with assorted sized-secured plastic boxes/containers. I also would love to trade the aux fuel tank area for good below deck space but would want to do it right with either the entire hatch lifting up or a large pre-made one and need alittle more guidance.....Also looking to replace the storage netting just inside the cabin wall with a rack/cabinet thats a good fit. I know Alan Tani has trouble leaving things alone and when he has time he might be able to share some of his tricks on his 258.........good luck.........Tom

cletus9000

Reaction score
Rob: will do. I might not get around to doing anything major until the winter since I'll probably be busy fishing every weekend until then, but I'll definitely post some pics of what I end up doing.

Tom: great stuff. I'll look into ways to cram more trolling rods in there. I'll probably run 10 rods this fall in the Bay, and may look to add more next season, so I'll need all the space I can get in their for storage!

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Mounted this to the bulkhead under the electronics box.
DSC01594.JPG

Replaced the forward starboard rod bracket with this extention. Can still mount 2 rods underneath along with the additional 5 with the extention.
DSC01591.JPG

Replaced standard port brackets with rod hangers.
DSC01595.JPG

I am also planning tackle storage where the aux. tank would be. I have already removed the deck panel to make a template for a custom replacement. I have already installed a dry floor in that area with scuppers and access plates to the bilge. Next step (when I finally get around to it!!!) is a new panel with lift out tackle trays. It already makes for nice storage but only for things that will go through the 6" deck plate.