Taco top mount outrigger for a 228 hardtop configuration

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have researched out riggers for my boat for this spring...oh Happy New Year by the way, and i am going to use the Tacos because we trailer it from the mountains to the coast for fishing and the telescoping poles are what I need.

Given the 228 top is relatively narrow compared to bigger boats, would the Taco Grand Slam mounts really be a good choice given the limited headroom . Those handles would seem to get in the way. But I have not seem them in reality only in cyberspace.

The Sport slams seem to be perhaps the best choice for mounts given the space requirements are much less than grand slams, but they seem to also be a challange to set up.

So my question is which mounts would be the best choice for the 228 hardtop?

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
228 with Taco top mounts

I have an '02 228 with Taco outriggers and they're great. The handles are still higher than the lowest frame member and well aft in each corner. Clearance is not an issue. Before you cut the holes be sure the handle will have clearance all around for pivoting. Good luck,
Dan

dwain

Reaction score
Website
www.bodkinrealty.com
I have an 03 seafarer and have the Grand Slams. No problem, they work great. The only thing is to be careful when installing, make sure you use the plate for the underneath and measure properly. I wish I had moved the Grand Slams about one inch further from the back of the hardtop. The reason is when you roll up the eisenglass it gets in the way of the handle. Good luck. Dwain