Tampa Bay Grouper

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
Been doing quite well on the gags right in the bay. My Gulfstream is great - very stable while trolling through huge freighter wakes and the snot we sometimes encounter out there. Here's a few pics:

nicegrouper.jpg

Grouper5-12-07001.jpg

SueGrouper4-28-07.jpg

ColeGrouper4-22-07002.jpg

greyg8r

Reaction score
Daryl,

I average about 1 grouper / hour trolling in the Bay, but about 75% are shorts. How does that compare to you?

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
That would be a slow day for us. I have learned to work certain areas and skip others which helps. Still get alot of shorts regardless, but the keepers are out there. I've had days where 100% were short, and days where 100% were keepers, and everywhere in between.

I found a new stretch to work 2 weeks ago and immediately bagged two big fish. Returned last week and all we caught were shorts!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Shady;
I get a kick out of your Bay shots,plus your very cool boat.
I have crossed the bay many-a-time from the ICW Northbound under Manatee Avenue. This was in the late 70's and early 80's.
Do you flush your engines and wash down your boat after every trip out? I haven't been to saltwater yet..I'm getting feedback from you guys who deal with it regularly.
I'm convinced you and I have the right power on our boats. I love being able to cruise at 30-34 and stay in the low 4000's on the rev's.
Hope you've had a good summer.

MB.

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
Thanks MB, it's been too flamin hot for about 6 weeks here now to fish all day, hope it breaks soon.

The marina flushes my outboards and pulls my drain plug every time I come in.

Just installed a custom fabricated 5 rod holder on the back of my hard top, will post pics soon. No more dragging rods in and out of the cabin!

Hope to get out this Saturday.