Tarpaulin for Gulfsteam

Roarque

Reaction score
We live in the Pacific North West - near Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

Decisions about the offseason need to be made.

We can leave the boat in our slip at the marina but it would seldom be used in November through March. We do have access to power so a small heater could keep the mold out of the cabin. We can install a floating boat lift to take the Gulfstream right out of the Pacific Ocean but that still leaves the top decks, the canvas and the isenglas exposed to lots of rain and maybe some short term snow. A few guys with Grand Banks boats have had a local supplier make custom tarpaulins to cover up their boats for 4-6 months while they float in their slips.

Is there a quality supplier of Grady Canvas who has designed such a fitted tarpaulin for the Grady Gulfstream?

Plan B is to load her up on the trailer and take the whole package to a dry heated storage facility that charges $350/month for winter storage.

Comments or Ideas?

grady23

Reaction score
You have other things to consider. What happens if the cover fails or gets damaged and the excess weight capsizes the boat? What is the cost of the tarp? Also, will the fuel tanks be full or empty? If I could affords it, I would put the boat inside where you can do work on it during the winter months. Someday I plan to build a pole barn where I can do just what your questioning.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Heated, really? If you get snow, don't leave her in the water it's a receipe for disaster. Have her shrink wrapped up on the trailer or blocks.

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a cover for my 2005 Gulfstream, the boat is in Port Alberni right now. The cover is in storage, I will stop by today and see who made it. When I came back to this post, a popup at the bottom of the screen said "GRADYWHITECOVERS" with a name. I didn't go to the site and cannot get the site to "popup" again. If you have to go custom, I could take measurements (thats the tough part). I will be up in PA to bring hm my boat soon, with weather permitting. I brought hm the trailer, and plan to cruise back to Olympia. Do you have a trailer for yours? I personally won't leave a boat in the water over the winter, especially in the NW. I keep mine on the trailer under cover. Maybe a place to dry store for 4 months? You probably pay yearly moorage and don't need the added expense! If you need more info, PM for a phone number and we can talk. Jim Vancouver, Washington (the other Vancouver !!)

gw204

Reaction score
Whatever happened to building a simple frame of PVC or 2x4s and just using a blue tarp to cover the boat??? Doesn't anyone be me do that anymore? :D

I have my Formula under a heavy duty gray tarp that is supported by some old 2x4s and pieces of 1/2" ply and tied down with clothes line cord from Walmart. It went through the recent Hurricane w/out even flinching.

I used to have a custom fitted Fisher Canvas cover for my old Sailfish. After struggling with that for two seasons, I sold it and bought a tarp and some 2x4s.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Seems like you are making a very big jump between the two options. Either on the water with canvas or heated storage? Why not find a storage yard with a real roof and electricity and just trailer her there for the winter? Down here it's about $200 a month for 35' of space. Find a spot betwen a couple of those MotorMansions, or in the middle of the roofed area, and you'll have the top and sides nicely protected. Then plug in your shore power for your batteries and dehumidifier, and call her good. Plus fuel treatment. Maybe even take her for a long run and refill her with non-ethanol 89 octane...

Roarque

Reaction score
wdlfbio

Good advice - found covered storage without power for 150/mo. No power means no humidifier or cuddy heater but we can check on our baby easily. I'll change my engine fluids before she goes into storage and I fill the tank with gas including a stabilizer. I may put a cheap tarp over the boat's canvas to reduced the bird poop issue.

grady23

Reaction score
I use a 20X30' silver/black tarp to cover my boat. I have made the tarp last as many as 5 years partly because I don't put it away wet or dirty. I also use a length of foam insulation across the rod holders on the rocket launcher and cushion any "sharp" surfaces. When I installed the last antenna, I left enough cable so I can remove the antenna via the ratchet mount and "Hang" it over the side of the hardtop supported by a flex-tie. These tarps run anywhere from $99 to $140 depending where you by them. This does not cover the engines as that would require the next longer tarp which is a 40 footer. I also made a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe support for the front the goes from the hardtop frame to the bow rail and has a "T" stand that is self supporting for the middle of the span. I just used pipe long enough to fit across the cat-walk area from side-to-side and it stands up nicely. I also use 3/4" lengths from rod holder to rod holder across the cockpit area. This helps the tarp shed snow. In places where the tarp needs to fold over itself, I added extra grommets and cross-tie to keep it tight. This has worked great for me for the past 10 years and it's light enough I can handle the thing by my self at 63 years old and a bum knee and back.