Tell me about the GW 257 Advance - 2003 edition

gbar

Reaction score
Got fowarded from the hullthruth.com for a general inquiry.

I am looking at a 2003 GW 257 Advance with a F250 Yami. What can you tell me about them? What are the benefits of a Grady? Performance, ride, fit, finish?

Uses will be offshore Jacksonville, FL to 60 miles and St Johns river/ICW. Common seas are flat to 5' and river is 1' chop.

Only a 20 degree deadrise makes me a little nervous about the ride. Have not sea trialed yet, just shopping.

Please let me know your thoughts. Sell me on a Grady.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gbar: I won't try to sell you on the Grady - the boat either sells itself to you or it doesn't - but I can tell you my experience with the same hull and engine. Difference is that mine is the cabin model, not the center console.

We run the boat offshore quite a bit, including trips to Bahamas. She runs very comfortably in a 2' chop. In 3', I put the trim tabs down and slow down a bit. I can't stay on plane in 4'. By 5' I can only plow through. I drift fish and the boat is great on the drift.

Grady fit & finish is superb. And the quality of the materials makes long-term maintenance relatively easy.

The F250 is a good match. gets on plane easily. I run 4,000 going 26-27 mph and getting anywhere from 2.5 to 3.0 mpg, depending on seas. Top end is 42 mph at 6,000 rpm. I have 1200 hours on my F250 and it has been flawless.

Much as i love my boat, I would still suggest you get a marine surveyor to take a look before you buy anything not covered by a warranty.

Hope this helps.