Tell us about your boat/build

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I thought it would be great to hear from Grady owners about their boat and how they got to where they are today. So I will start, I have been fortunate to have a boat most of my life, nothing big but a boat to get on the water, one of my favourite places. I first stepped foot on a Grady 248 Voyager about 5 years ago and could not believe the ride in a 3 foot chop, made my 542 Campion at the time seem like a bath tub. So the search was on, I thought a good compromise was a 228 Seafarer with a single main and kicker for trolling. I had a chance to buy a couple turn key boats but missed out so found an insurance/auction sale last December of a 1999 228 Seafarer. Did my homework and started to bid on it, no power, broken pod but my son in law is a fabricator and leaned on him heavily, asked him if we can do this, he said “hell ya” without hesitating. I had the winning bid so went over to Vancouver BC and brought the boat to the other big island in the Pacific. I have pretty much replaced everything on the boat but had great trips this summer to Port Hardy and Nootka Sound. I still need to tweek a few things but very happy with the boat, can’t wait to get my future grandson on the boat , my daughter is due March 11th. I will attach some photos, they are great boats.

Attachments

• 3AA02E60-D012-4ABD-84A3-20E313D4ACEA.jpeg
    3AA02E60-D012-4ABD-84A3-20E313D4ACEA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • E0396E95-9CFC-4CF0-B97B-68FFA6D04D98.jpeg
    E0396E95-9CFC-4CF0-B97B-68FFA6D04D98.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don, nice to see another local Grady! Went from a Campion Explorer to a Seawirl then 10 years ago headed down to S California and bought my 208 Adventure. Great experience meeting the owner Chris Brown who had named it "Chumalong"and was a member on this site for a few years.
Thought I might have seen you on the tack at Kitty Coleman (the hump) last summer. Use to spend a week a t Flynns Cove every summer but have not been out that way in two or three years. I will keep a look out for you this summer, my 208 is named Vagabond. Haven't done much of a rebuild but a lot of add ons. Auto Pilot, iTroll, new transom cap, fish cleaning table. bow pulpit, F200 i4.T 8 kicker and bracket, bow bunks, new springs and shackles on the trailer, Kodiak brakes all around, wash down pump and wash down sprayer built into into the starboard fish (storage) locker. Learned a lot by doing it all myself! Still looking for more mods. Cheers

Last edited:

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Too funny Kitty Coleman was probably the only place I didn’t fish this past summer, there is another slightly newer 228 Seafarer that looks identical to mine here in Comox. He’s a good friend of mine and one of the turn key boats that I missed buying. Same motors the only way to tell the difference is he has a spot light on his hard top and no radar dome, mine will soon have radar. Where are your located Trapper?

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My father and I have boat AAD, seems like every few years we move onto something else for one reason or another. In the last 10-12 years we have had at least 10 different boats with 5 being Gradys which have proven to be our favorite. I don't mind getting my hands dirty mechanically and our go-to's are similar to what you found, needing attention or repower with a new-to-us outboard. My dream boat was a Sailfish and having our '99 272 for 5 full seasons proved it the longest lasting boat. Only sold it because of expected lack of use with a baby and using the timing of the high boat prices to sell and upgrade to a newer Sailfish or Marlin in a couple of years.

Decided we wanted a boat to leave on the mooring and got what we though to be a great deal on a 1997 Islander with 2007 F150's. Looked at the motors with rose colored glasses and turned out both had major corrosion. Sold motors for parts/repair and hanging used low hour HPDI's on her now. Hoping for the best for a few seasons until we look to move into a 282 Sailfish or Marlin in the future. I think the "hunt" for the next boat is a lot of our fun!

IMG_3564.JPG

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Outboards sure seem to be a gamble when buying used, one of the Seafarers I missed had a very old Yamaha 225 2 stroke on it, boat was mint, new trailer but the outboard made me nervous and the guy still wanted $50,000 here in BC. I passed and the guy blew the power head last fall, my hunch worked for me luckily. I found a low hour 2012 Suzuki DF250 for mine, so far so good.

Pescadote

Reaction score
I'll play. Grew up around boats as my dad was a fisherman, but didn't get in to owning my own boat until about 17 years ago. Started out with a couple of jet sleds because I thought that would be cool to be able to run up the rivers here in Oregon. Enjoyed those boats, but longed for something a bit "saltier," so I bought a new 2009 Arima 17' Sea Chaser. Loved that boat and fished the heck out of it, everything from Port Hardy BC to 40 miles out of Newport in Oregon for tuna. Size and fuel tanks were limiting factors, however, so three years ago I sold it and bought a 21' Thunderjet Offshore.

Also loved that boat, but I decided I wanted to keep my boat moored during the summer for easier fishing use, so I sold that boat and began my Grady search.

Ended up flying to Florida in October, and this followed me back to Oregon a couple of weeks later.

IMG_3079.JPG

I had never driven a boat in Florida, so just being able to take it out in the Keys was worth the trip itself.
IMG_3080.JPG

Getting the bottom painted right now and the thru-hull fittings replaced, and then I'm going to have a guy here in Oregon build me something like this:
IMG_3065 (1).PNG

Had really been looking for a hardtop, but found this one at what I thought was a good deal on a one-owner boat. I'm also tall, 6'4", so I think it will be a real bonus to not be smacking my head coming in and out of the cabin!

Looking forward to next May when I can start using this thing!

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That Alaskan hardtop option you are thinking of installing looks awesome, are you going to install a heater for winter use? We are almost neighbours, we fish Port Hardy as well as Nootka and local waters around the Comox Valley.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Pescadote

Reaction score
That Alaskan hardtop option you are thinking of installing looks awesome, are you going to install a heater for winter use? We are almost neighbours, we fish Port Hardy as well as Nootka and local waters around the Comox Valley.

Man, I sure missed going to Port Hardy this summer; I had gone for 11 years in a row until this darn Covid thing kept us Yanks out of Canada. Hope things get straightened out by July!

Boat will be stored in my brother's barn from November through April and I will moor it in Newport from May through October (except a week long trip to PH in July, I hope!), so I don't think I will put in a heater. Going with Garmin electronics - radar and a 12" screen. It's going to seem HUGE after my previous 7" Dragonfly.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have been boating since 1968 when my family bought a 1963 20' Cobia in NY. Used it for four years when I moved to San Francisco. Owned no boat until 1987 and bought a new Glastron 216 which was a great boat and lots of blood made it to the deck as I learned fishing in Ca. Lots of salmon, stripers, sturgeon, a few halibut as well as many sharks and king fish. Due to power issues ditched that boat and bought a 2004 GW 228 in 2015. The Glastron and GW are like night and day. I recall that when I went out the Golden Gate for a salmon fishing trip with the Glastron my back would hurt for a week and we got soaked coming back to the dock. That has all changed with the Grady. Pretty much the same size boat but the Grady is a thousand pounds more, more sea worthy and an unbelievable difference. Still lots of blood hit the deck, no back issues and come back home dry.

As they say I should have made the switch earlier.

Steve, aka Sturgeon Steve.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Too funny Kitty Coleman was probably the only place I didn’t fish this past summer, there is another slightly newer 228 Seafarer that looks identical to mine here in Comox. He’s a good friend of mine and one of the turn key boats that I missed buying. Same motors the only way to tell the difference is he has a spot light on his hard top and no radar dome, mine will soon have radar. Where are your located Trapper?
I live in Comox, fish Kitty Coleman, Grants Reef, areas in Desolation Sound and Campbell River. Had a commercial troller and fished out of Tofino and Ucluelet. Glad to be out of that business, as it appears to be a little tougher to make a living these days with all the changes. Enjoy fishing and cruising the winter months, weather permitting, yes a totally "VID" free environment out there.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I haven’t been into Desolation Sound yet but it’s on my bucket list. We have dropped prawn traps at Twin Islands near the entrance with my last boat but friends have been to Teakerne Arm a few times so looking forward to that trip hopefully this year.

Fishtales

Reaction score
My dad always had a boat for us as kids and when he retired I thought it was my time to payback. I shopped and looked at used boats before settling in on a new Grady. Not knowing a lot about boat maintenance or slipping a boat I still decided to buy bigger than I was initially comfortable with so I wouldn't be looking to trade up in a few years. I settled on a 282 and bought it. Not knowing how difficult it would be to get a slip (lists everywhere) I started looking and was getting nervous I would not find anything. For the first year my dealer gave me a mooring but it was for one season only; after that I was on my own. It was fine year1 and they had a launch service but it was about 20 min from our summer house. Not complaining but we have 2 marinas 2 minutes away that I was targeting.

I was mistaken for local TV sportscaster and was provided slip in the marina that I was targeting. At first I thought it was good timing or luck and no talk of the slip list? I wasn't going to bring it up or complain, that's for sure! Later that year at the annual barbeque the manager indicated he saw my phone message and new boat plus name caused the confusion for him. His confusion was my gain!
We talked a lot over the years and I know the marina appreciated immediate payment for services, staying in good graces. I remember when my dad saw the 282 for the first time. He was initially blown away not knowing what I bought until he saw it. A new boat? Are you insane, the depreciation is huge... Just the size of it and my general cluelessness of docking. Finally he was shocked to see an expensive boat like a Grady. Regardless we were locked and loaded and there was no going back. He taught me how to slip it and saved my butt a few times. I've had the slip for almost 20 years and he and I got used to fishing in style with family.

Sadly, my dad passed after 6 years with the 282. We had a ton of fun with him, my four brothers and the grand kids. I thought that was it, I was going to sell the boat and get out, after all the reason for doing it wasn't there anymore. I was putting her away for the season and the owner of the GW dealership approached me. Conversation went something like this... Hey every time I see you on the water, you have a lot of family and kids with you - did you ever think of moving up? I laughed and said I was actually thinking the opposite. He told me to think about it and give him a call. He had a new 300 and would deal with her.

Discussed getting out with the family and from my wife, 2 daughters and 2 sons - all were like heck no! We like boating, fishing, rafting up with buddies, lobstering, anchoring in tucked away coves, traveling to Plymouth, Provincetown and Boston and seeing the sites in local small harbors. So I seized the moment and told them, ok I'd stay in it but I wanted to get a little bigger boat as the helm area in the 282 was a little tight for us. Everyone was in, then I just had to make the deal which worked out great.

We still have the 300 it really is the perfect boat for us. I thought about selling her as I planned to get out of the high pressure corporate world, knew that in my late 50s they were coming for me, and a crazy commute. Why not retire early with a lighter closer job and enjoy life? I was feeling I should simplify my life and reduce bills in retirement. We'll, decided to maintain the course for now and enjoy what we have. I will work again doing something, but it will be a tiny commute, a less stress job and on my terms. Hopefully we'll make it all work.

Reactions: Ky Grady and efx

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I was born a poor black child. wait, wrong movie.

I was born and raised in Florida..Florida natives rule! Rule what I don't know,but I have always loved the water. Dad had a 69 Thunderbird with 85 Rude before selling it in 72 as my younger sister always got sick boating.

Brother introduced me to Grady White when he moved to Wilmington in 90. He had an 86 191 with 140 Rude. I was boatless minus a canoe and a couple kayaks.

1998 my life was turned upside down. My second born ,Kyle , contacted group b strep during labor. He was sepsis at birth and he went immediately to the NICU. The infection grew into meningitis and it destroyed half his brain and nearly killed him. August 24 was the worse day of my life. in the following months I struggled with life and struggled. with having a blind, disabled and mentally retarded son. I love to mountain bike and hike. I love the water. My son was immensely difficult. I recall my wife quiting her well paid job at Sunshine Network and taking a night job as a waitress at Sonny's BBQ. Kyle nursed and when I got off of work she handed him off to me and went to work. Kyle literally cried for most of the night until his mom came back at midnight. he refused to take the bottle.

I tried taking Kyle kayaking over the next few years and he was terrible. I was ready to give up on so much. That spring we had a camping trip to a John Pennekamp. it was 2002 and I was going to give it one more try. we tried kayaking in the keys and again total meltdown. I was demoralized.

I rented a 24 foot center console . I put Kyle in his PFD. He threw a fit. sat him on the bench next to me and he was just pissy. Got the crew aboard and shoved off from the dock and idled out. we had to navigate through the mangroves and came around the dangerous bend coming out of Largo sound and Kyke was melting down. I was just lost inside. I got to the marker where I could resume normal safe operation and I put the the throttle down . Kyle sat up straight. The wind hit him in the face, the mercury outboard growled and Kyle was calm, had a huge grin on his face and was laughing. The heavens opened up and I found a place in this world where my family could enjoy being outside as a complete family and Kyle was having the time of his life.

Two months later I was a proud owner of a 1996 Grady 192 with a 150 Johnson Ocean pro. Twenty two years later Kyle has enjoyed boating ,camping and road trips. He has had several surgeries helping him with his cerebral palsy. In fact thus summer I rented a tandem sit in kayak to explore the mangroves on the keys and the boy loves it! Put his boat coat on and he is happy as can be. I wish I could describe the joy boating has brought to me and to my sons in particular. My 228 is a great boat and the memories made on her are priceless. However, the boat really impacted Kyle and me too ..It has made life absolutely wonderful. My son is an amazing person it is pure joy to see what a day on the water means to that young man. every penny spent on boating has been the best money I have ever spent in my life. Boating opened up a world to a severely disabled blind kid. My Grady has been more than a boat to our family.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
My first boat was a 1985 Answer Fishmaster walk through, kept it 5 years before selling it because of marriage and a kid on the way. Some 25 years later I found this 1987 226 for a song and did a restoration on the hull, but the twin original 33 year old 140 Johnsons told me they were not ready to give up yet. After a complete checkup, all cylinders had 132 to 135 lbs of compression, so a good tune up which included wiring harnesses, plug wires, carb kits and fuel system was done. It's had nearly three years of use since with no issues. I have been offshore and even had a 150 mile round trip up the coast chasing mahi. I Just had it professionally detailed and the detailer said he has not seen a boat 33 years old shine up so well before. I'm the 4th owner it's had, all 3 other owners are in Grady White heaven, but the 226 is still going strong. Certainly a testament to how well they can hold up if given proper maintenance and care. My only complaint is the ride, she will pound you in 2' chop. I wouldn't mind so much if I was in my 20's or 30's, but just turning 60 has me a bit reluctant to punish myself as much. I pick my spots and days now, and enjoy it when I can. It sure was a labor of love bringing her back. A new 4 stroke modern outboard will probably be added at some point, but for now the old school carbureted 140 2 strokes do everything well except sip fuel.

20180621_101113_HDR.jpg20180909_124231_1536526795276_LI.jpg20180207_145252.jpg20180613_155327.jpg20180507_193144.jpg20180622_142023.jpg

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was born a poor black child. wait, wrong movie.

I was born and raised in Florida..Florida natives rule! Rule what I don't know,but I have always loved the water. Dad had a 69 Thunderbird with 85 Rude before selling it in 72 as my younger sister always got sick boating.

Brother introduced me to Grady White when he moved to Wilmington in 90. He had an 86 191 with 140 Rude. I was boatless minus a canoe and a couple kayaks.

1998 my life was turned upside down. My second born ,Kyle , contacted group b strep during labor. He was sepsis at birth and he went immediately to the NICU. The infection grew into meningitis and it destroyed half his brain and nearly killed him. August 24 was the worse day of my life. in the following months I struggled with life and struggled. with having a blind, disabled and mentally retarded son. I love to mountain bike and hike. I love the water. My son was immensely difficult. I recall my wife quiting her well paid job at Sunshine Network and taking a night job as a waitress at Sonny's BBQ. Kyle nursed and when I got off of work she handed him off to me and went to work. Kyle literally cried for most of the night until his mom came back at midnight. he refused to take the bottle.

I tried taking Kyle kayaking over the next few years and he was terrible. I was ready to give up on so much. That spring we had a camping trip to a John Pennekamp. it was 2002 and I was going to give it one more try. we tried kayaking in the keys and again total meltdown. I was demoralized.

I rented a 24 foot center console . I put Kyle in his PFD. He threw a fit. sat him on the bench next to me and he was just pissy. Got the crew aboard and shoved off from the dock and idled out. we had to navigate through the mangroves and came around the dangerous bend coming out of Largo sound and Kyke was melting down. I was just lost inside. I got to the marker where I could resume normal safe operation and I put the the throttle down . Kyle sat up straight. The wind hit him in the face, the mercury outboard growled and Kyle was calm, had a huge grin on his face and was laughing. The heavens opened up and I found a place in this world where my family could enjoy being outside as a complete family and Kyle was having the time of his life.

Two months later I was a proud owner of a 1996 Grady 192 with a 150 Johnson Ocean pro. Twenty two years later Kyle has enjoyed boating ,camping and road trips. He has had several surgeries helping him with his cerebral palsy. In fact thus summer I rented a tandem sit in kayak to explore the mangroves on the keys and the boy loves it! Put his boat coat on and he is happy as can be. I wish I could describe the joy boating has brought to me and to my sons in particular. My 228 is a great boat and the memories made on her are priceless. However, the boat really impacted Kyle and me too ..It has made life absolutely wonderful. My son is an amazing person it is pure joy to see what a day on the water means to that young man. every penny spent on boating has been the best money I have ever spent in my life. Boating opened up a world to a severely disabled blind kid. My Grady has been more than a boat to our family.

Wow amazing story, it’s interesting how our children become immersed in our passions. My oldest daughter is now a Fisheries Officer on the central coast of BC. Much different than your son’s health experience but a similar interest in boating and the water that I’m sure originated from the many boats that we had when she was growing up. I know I’m happier when I’m on the water.