Test drive - stearing seemed a bit odd......?

Zrob

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to boating so I thought I would check in on this. I test drove a boat today, had a used 130 HP 1995 Envinrude (just rebuilt) new controls not sure though about the steering and it seemed when I would turn the boat would drift off and I would have to keep compensating the wheel every now and then. Is this normal with boats? If not how much is it to replace that on a 19' boat?

Thanks.

mjhillsr

Reaction score
If it drifts in the same direction it may be the rudder/zinc on the lower unit. The can be adjusted to compensate for the drift. The steering will not keep the boat heading in one direction without you keeping control of the steering wheel. I have a 19' tournament and I replaced the steering cable last month. I replaced it with the no feedback cable which will hold the boat on course without much control on my part. The steering is a little more stiff now, but something I will get used to. The old cable broke at the steering box, luckily as I was docking the boat and not at a fast cruise. The cable was aroud 250 dollars. As in all boat related work, their is always a hitch. The motor has to come off to remove the old cable and place the new one. Hope this helps.

Mike

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you can't get the cable out of the tilt tube, then the motor has to unfortunately come off...

seasick

Reaction score
Zrob said:
Hi guys, I am new to boating so I thought I would check in on this. I test drove a boat today, had a used 130 HP 1995 Envinrude (just rebuilt) new controls not sure though about the steering and it seemed when I would turn the boat would drift off and I would have to keep compensating the wheel every now and then. Is this normal with boats? If not how much is it to replace that on a 19' boat?

Thanks.

Some drift is normal depending on the hull and the trim. Was this at high speed or at low speed? What were the sea conditions? Often a boat will 'bow steer'. The bow gets turned by swells and waves as it cuts them. Trimming the bow up may help.
On the other hand, if the boat was trimmed up too high, you might experience instability also.

If you turn the wheel at a speed above a crawl, you should see the motor move. With many manual steering systems, there is always some dead spot or free play. Under a quarter turn is normal.

A misadjusted trim anode will cause the boat to 'pull' to the right or left depending on the adjustment. Although this doesn't cause the boat to wander, it will cause the steering effort to be much harder in one direction than the other. If you are always compensating for the 'pulling' you might call that wandering.
A small difference in steering effort between left and right turns is normal since the trim tab adjustment is optimal for one speed only.

It is also possible that the motor is mounted incorrectly or the wrong shaft length was used. The cavitation plate on the lower unit should be approximately even to a bit lower than the keel. ( the problem with checking this is that when you go to the stern to look over the transom, your shifted weight will lower the motor in the water). It is better to have someone outside the boat see where the cavitation plate is positioned.

Finally, the motor may be too big for the boat. It probably isn't but check the capacity plate. Was that motor the original equipment?

Zrob

Reaction score
seasick said:
...Finally, the motor may be too big for the boat. It probably isn't but check the capacity plate. Was that motor the original equipment?

I noticed it way more at SLOW speed?? Seas and wind were mild.

The motor was replaced this year by a boat yard. Its a 130hp I think the boat has a 150Max. The add also said the steering cable was also replaced (just saw that); And the steering play was normal, based on what you said.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

seasick

Reaction score
Zrob said:
seasick said:
...Finally, the motor may be too big for the boat. It probably isn't but check the capacity plate. Was that motor the original equipment?

I noticed it way more at SLOW speed?? Seas and wind were mild.

The motor was replaced this year by a boat yard. Its a 130hp I think the boat has a 150Max. The add also said the steering cable was also replaced (just saw that); And the steering play was normal, based on what you said.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Play with the motor trim angle. It makes a difference in handling. Some wandering is normal. At least it is on my 20 footer at slower speeds