thickness of starboard for flushmounting electronics

Charlies Charters

Reaction score
Any input will be great first of all, I am starting to put together a flush mount system in my seafarer. I want to flush mount a northstar m-84 where the see thru door is on the eletronics glove box. I have removed the door but not really sure if I should go with 1/4 inch starboard or 1/2. I am feeling that the 1/4 is a good strong choice but want some input from some people here on the forum that have done this type of install before.

Thanks Charlie

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Charlie

My 265 Express has the overhead compartment and the helm area both done with 1/4 starboard - works out fine. I think 1/2" would be too thick

IMG_1355-copy.jpg

IMG_1357-copy.jpg

Charlies Charters

Reaction score
That looks great. This is the response I was looking for for sure. Did you do the job yourself or hire someone else to do the work??? I am going to pick up the starboard sunday!!!

Charlie

gilpri

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks Charlie

The helm area was done by an electronics installer before I bought the boat.
I re-did the overhead area to remove the radar - It now goes on the bracket to the right of the helm.

I found the overhead radar to be a terrible distraction when running in the fog - having to look so far up and then re-focus ahead was very distracting to me , almost to the point of being dangerous. I found that just doing a quick eye shift to the right is much better.

When I did the upper panel I installed on a hinge so I can swing the whole panel down to service it - much easier to work on it.

Good luck - post some pics when you're done

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I used 1/4-inch when I did the first flushmount, but used 1/2-inch the second time (moved from LCX-19C to LCX-112C). Actually bought both 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch, and decided to use the 1/2 due to the overall "10 pounds in a five-pound sack"....

This was the LCX-19C:

FlushMount8a.jpg

And the new installation:

NewFlush1.jpg

Brian

Charlies Charters

Reaction score
Hope the pic comes thru first of all. I am going with 1/4 inch stock as it really seems to be the ticket. I have cut the starboard to fit over the plexi glass area now I have to wait for the unit to arrive for the next step.
The first pic is the Northstar M-84 I am going to flush mount. Should be here in 2-weeks or so!!

Thanks to all Charlie

M84_hi_res_left.jpg

starboardflushmountproject009.jpg

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
I did mine w/ 1/2" Starboard black. Beefier so when I take them with me it would hold the weight better and not flex.

3/8" was my second choice.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used 1/2" as well. I first used Seafoam but did not like the look so I redid it in black.

300.jpg

gw204

Reaction score
The 3/8" I was speaking of in Seafoam.

IMG_7530.jpg

Fabrication is not yet complete. The hard edges will be hit with a 1/8" roundover to give it a nice, finished look.