This Ever Happen To You?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I saw a boat that was the same model as my old boat getting repaired and didn't think too much about it. My kids and I saw it the next day in the same dock as mine and couldn't help but noticed how beat it looked for the year. Then it hit us, it was our old boat.

We took great care of it for the 5 years we had it and always ensured it was maintained and looking like new. It appeared that it had never been cleaned, waxed or cared for since I traded it (you could see where the old lettering was removed from the hull - not even cleaned/waxed). I'm not lying when I got a call from the dealer when it was sold; he said "That boat was in excellent condition and well maintained." Three years later - bangs on hull, motors etc, scrapes all over the place and a foot high brown stain all along the hull from wherever it is kept to boot. The chalkiest hull/topside I've seen in a while.

Maybe we are just weird, as it kinda broke our hearts for a minute. Can't beleive people drop the coin they do on these rigs and then let them go. Good lesson for the kids, they will work twice as hard next spring getting it ready to avoid a like fate....

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
People have other priorities, things that take them away from what they really want to do or be involved with.

I was telling the story on another thread about a boat I bought in the 80's. It was a very finely built wooden boat, a 26' cutter. A shipwright that built boats on Lake Union in Seattle built her himself, for his own use. He spent 7 years, and tons of money - every piece of hardware on it was bronze, it had a volvo diesel, refrigeration, power windless with all chain rode, hot and cold pressure water, a flush toilet, teak decks and sole, all varnished teak trim, so built to the nines for sure.

They sailed it a few times on the lake, wifey didn't like to go, so it sat and deteriorated for several years, and then got listed with a broker to sell. It was filthy, paint peeling, had pieces and parts and dirt and dust inside, even the bilges had never been cleaned out from building her, they were full of shavings and stray fasteners.

I completely refinished and refurbed that boat to be and look like brand new, took it to a few classic boat shows, and doubled my money in 18 months.

A couple of years ago I looked at brand spankin' new Grady Sailfish with 20 hours on the motors, it had been sitting since new (about 2 years), never taken out, was completely covered with bird droppings. Fortunately it had a cover, but still, it was a complete mess. And it was for sale!! And they wanted a lot of money for it!

Some people are certainly a mystery. Or clueless. :roll:

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I sort of know the feeling. We sold our smaller Grady this past spring. It was in excellent shape for a 1989 and was constantly upgraded and shined like new. Upon the sale the owners asked for a list of products i use and how i cared for the boat. I printed out a list with all products I used and where and when. Even offered to help them...oh and the boat was already waxed for them!! Well they sanded the bottom paint by hand and dug into the gelcoat, in some spots to glass, did not use bottom kote as recommended, got paint ALL over the hull sides, used abrasives to get it off...did a poor job, then waxed over it with cheap wax and left half the wax still on the boat. They tore up the floor to clean the bilge but never put anything back together right and ended up making more of a mess then they cleaned. It kinda made me sad to see all of this, especially when I live a few houses away and offered to help them with anything they needed. Worst yet...I had time off from work and was available most of the time to lend a hand. I'm scared to see what the boat looks like now, they keep it in the water about 2 hours from where I live. I just tell myself it is their boat now and they will do with it what they want, I cannot worry too much about it, I have my own boat to maintain and worry about. It is a shame though when people do not care for boats like they should. I know all do not care for a boat like I do, but some people do nothing at all and think the boat will hold up and stay perfect. If you looked at the boat next to me at the dock, you would think it is 10 years older then my boat but it is actually newer...guy never cleans it or takes care of anything. He did wax it this spring, but waxed right over the 6inch high scum line above the bottom paint...oh and he has to remove his eisenglass to see!! We cannot force people to take care of their boats, but it is a shame when someone spends so much on a boat and then lets it go to junk. I understand in some instances things come up in peoples lives that keep them from having the time or funds to take care of things, but too often that is not the case...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Many people treat boats(and cars) like throwaway items..

remember when you used to see guys washing their cars/boats in the driveway on Sunday afternoon? Those days are gone..Too many other distractions and responsibilites in life nowadays.
Two jobs, 3 kids..soccer practice..afterschool events..plus, some simply don't care.
Walk the docks at any marina and you'll see more boats than not in deteriorating shape..

Personally, I try to take good care of my 232..I'm single and a member of a Rock-N-Roll band, so my lifestyle is a little different.

Plus, it's work..It takes a lot to keep boats up to snuff..It's easy to blow it off.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I haven't waxed my boat in 5 years. I haven't brightened my teak in just as long. I rarely scrub the waterline. I will scrub blood stains off the deck, but haven't "washed" her since prior to spring. Granted, my boat is now 22 years old, and I got her cheap, so I'm not concerned about resale. And frankly, I could give a rat's a$$ what the previous owner would think. I have priorities and responsibilities and meticulously maintaining my Grady is not one of them.

If you want to ensure your old boat continues to get the love and attention she deserves, then don't sell. Its no different that a house.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
that's why i don't buy anything used. on the other hand, if you bought something used from me, you hit a jackpot. for instance, i fixed an exhaust system on a car when i knew i was going to start looking for a new one in a few months. and i had the engine oil changed on the gulfstream f200's on winter 2008 layup when i was 95% sure we were buying a new boat at the beginning of 2009. it's just the way i operate.

and i don't carry emotional attachments to objects; once it's yours, trash it for all i care-your loss, not mine.

ron