thru hull fittings change out

snooky1

Reaction score
hello new to sight, I have a 1993 209 escape, i want to change out the plastic thru hull fittings to ss, does any one know how to get to the fittings under the deck. thanks.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
I can't help you because I need to do the same thing. Keep me posted on this project. I am going to try and do mine this Fall.

GT

Reaction score
there are so may postings on this site about changing the thru hulls. Do a search and you'll find them all. Its a job and a half for some of the fittings but they can be done. Make sure you like the SS look, many people say it looks like their boat is wearing jewelry or was shot up with gunshot holes. I prefer the white look. Prior to changing mine I called Grady customer service and they sent me the dimensions for each fitting, and also sold me on the quality of the plastic/nylon/whatever fittings. A point they made is that with boats as old as ours the plastic will most likely outlive our ownership!

richie rich

Reaction score
you should have access cut outs for the side thruhulls and the transom should be accessible through battery hatches and fish boxes....plastic is good but will degrade in UV over the years...they are not everlasting from personal experience...they may look OK, but then you rub up against a floating dock and you'll find out quickly.....

nightfighter

Reaction score
I have same year model and replaced mine with SS three years ago. There are some challenging reaches to get the hoseclamps tightened, but it can be done. Have a helper outside to hold the fitting in place. Double up on the clamps. I used 4200, vs 5200, just in case... Start by breaking off the old thruhulls by inserting a large screwdriver and just twisting it around. Mine broke into pieces easily. Hopefully you have enough hose to pull through and slide the hose onto the fitting from outside the boat. I did not. (Just be sure you put the clamps on the hose first.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, I have the same boat too. The PIA fittings are the ones on the port side right. Do you need to remove the rod storage cutouts to get to these. They're caulked in. How did they come out?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, nightfighter is asleep. Do we have to use the same type hose that's on there? I can't believe they would cut the hoses short. Who else has don this?

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you go with SS like I did you may come up short on the hoses because the thru hull fittings may not be as long as the originals. Might want to consider doing the ones in the floor at this time, I broke both of em' while trying to move the hose, added another weekend to a project that should have been done in one.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you're doing the thru-hulls you better be changing the hoses too. What use is a new thru-hull attached to a dry rotted hose? Most of the thru-hulls are below or very close to the water line, don't skimp.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
grog, much to my surprise my hoses were in great shape, no rot at all. I'm guessing since they get no exposure to sun or any thing else they do not deteriorate as one might think.

After reading what other guy's have gone thru to change this stuff out I kinda feel like I cheated some how in my approach.

After trying to do the starboard side thru the access provided I soon concluded that this was not going to go well. By now I had broken off the deck drain as well as the thruhull.

100_2080-1.jpg

100_2081.jpg

This did however make the job go much better.[/img]