thru hull transducer on 265 express

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am importing a 265 to Australia and have ordered a 1kw thru hull transducer to run my furuno thru'.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best possible place for clear readings at cruise speeds as well as structural integrity of course.
The express is on a bunk trailer with 200hpdi's
I welcome anyones experience and Knowledge i have fitted one to an old boat of mine but obviously never a Grady. cheers from OZ

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm wondering if the 265 has a transducer mount moulded into the hull. Not sure when the factory started adding that, but my Sailfish has one, and possibly your 265 does as well. It's on the starboard side, about 2 inches in from where the trailer bunk contacts the hull. Maybe someone here can chime in with good news.

Nice choice of boat too. Good luck with her.

SlimJim

Reaction score
This would be called the Transducer Mounting Flats Right? If so I am showing then standard on the 272 282 and 300 marlin in the year 2000 catalog but not on the 265 express or under. What year is your 265?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2002 265 express with a thru hull transducer. On my boat the thru hull is mounted centerline, I'm guessing roughly 3ft forward of the transom. I have never measured its' exact distance. Our boat looks as if there was a thru hull fairing flat. I believe this was stock on this hull but I can not be certain. The boat comes out Oct 29..... unfortunately, so if you would like pics I could provide them to you then. Good luck with the boat, it is an excellent choice!!!

SlimJim

Reaction score
its shows mounting flats in the 2002 catalog for the 300 and 282 but not the 272 or the 265 express.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the model 265 i have purchased is a 2000. I would have guessed just off the centerline/ keel for the transducer; but having not yet set foot on her, i am just guessing.I particularly wanted one that had not been seaberthed.
I believe the deadrise was changed in 2002 to accomodate the 4 strokes weight.
I wonder has anyone seen or better still been on an early model (pre2002)265 with 4 strokes? Both my current boats have honda 4's and I am not convinced about going back to 2 strokes although i have had many reassuring comments from this forum.
I wll be ordering some lee juniors soon to get her in a more fishable state.She appears (photos only) to be in a exceptionally clean and barely used condition. Which means i get to set her up my way.While I'm waiting for delivery (6 weeks) i'm sorting out in my head what needs to be done and how to go about it.Patience is not a virtue...it's a waste of time!

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Using the transducer mounting flat makes the install easy.
Using a high speed fairing block makes the transducer read better at speeds over 20 mph.

OR you can do like I did and use both. This was really hard and I would not do it this way again. Even with the mounting flat I would use the fairing block and pick a differant spot next time.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The hull deadrise was not changed until 2003 on the 265. My 2002 has 4 strokes with the original deadrise. From what I hear there are not many before 03 that had four strokes. The boat handles great and had plenty of power, even with the added weight of the 4 strokes, I can't even imagine what a 2stroke version would ride like being lighter. I have had the boat roughly 100 miles offshore for tuna already and it handled like a champ in some snotty seas. I see you are buying a boat with hpdi's....we repowered our previous boat which was a 226 seafarer with one in the spring of 2000 and loved it. Engine is very powerful and great on fuel. Both Yamaha and Grady claim the hpdi will be more fuel efficient then the 4 strokes believe it or not. The 200hp hpdi was one of the best engines yamaha ever sold and it has a great rep.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Which transdeucer? With the faring block some are the size of a shoe. There is also a flat 1K transdeucer from Airmar.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This the large bronze 1 kw transducer. I fitted a 600w version of this on and old boat with no problems except it was a little too close to the side of the hull . there had been an exsisting surplus thru hull fitting in that position so rather than make another hole we used the old one. It was only a problem when trolling beam to and the chines would roll out of the water (it had a 26deg. deadrise)
we didn't use a fairing block then; but will have to see when i get the boat and equip here.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
thru hull

Just pulled my 2002 265 express for the winter. Took some pics of our thru hull for ya. Hope this helps.

HPIM0623.jpg

HPIM0626.jpg

The thru hull is located centerline about 1.5ft from the transom. It is even with the livewell and washdown pick up. Any other questions feel free to ask.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have just opened the box with the 1 kw transducer and it has the large blue fairing block included. It is my understanding that these help the transducer to read better at speed?
As my boat is on a trailer I need to be aware of launching etc.
It appears there is plenty of room in the centre and probably ahead of the two raw water intakes.
Would the fairing block create much drag ? and if so how much would that effect cruise speed?
It is important for my transducer to read well at cruise speeds as we pick up a lot of fishing marks cruising between reefs etc.
The closer it is positioned to the transom I imagine the more disturbance it would create around the props.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Regarding the transducer go to www.airmar.com they make the majority of the worlds transducers and brand for everyone. The web site is fantastic and brand specific. Pick through hull and high performance and look at the B164. This is their latest technology tilted flush mount transducer. You do not need a mounting block and the transducer mounts flush to the hull. They tilt the element inside of the housing and you simply pick the appropriate unit for your deadrise.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have mounted it the same as Gradyfish. Had a fairing block but chose not to use it. Hopefully not necessary. have taken boat for a 2 hr run and it didn't come off or leak so I guess we did an ok job.
Will post sounder results once it is installed and hooked up to this transducer.
As we mounted it in the centre and approx 18 " forard off the transom the instal was relatively quick and simple. Just took some valium to steady the nerves before drilling the hole and away we went.
Then spent 2 hours snaking the data lead up to the top electronics box. Now that's hard!

Technologydriven

Reaction score
Re: thru hull vs tilted element on 265 Express

Gradyfish22,

I realize this is an old post but I see you last signed in on February 2011 and hope you can offer some advice given your substantial knowledge. I have made an offer on a 2001 265 Express (which I saw in the dead of winter in New England so had no opportunity to inspect the bidge) and believe there is no transducer flat as your photos indicate here.

Is there interior room where you have placed your thru hull transducer for a B164 tilted element - (5.35" outside diameter outer-hull flange, 4.67" in-hull depth + connector)

If not, do you have any experience with using a B260? Is the large faring a problem? Which Airmar thru hull did you install?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In case Gradyfish doesn't get back.....I've had mine in now for approx 3 years and with the large fairing block there is plenty of room. I would imagine any transducer including the tilted elemnet will fit. You may have to mount it slightly offcentre which is what they are designed for. I looked into those after I had already bought mine.

There is plenty of room in the rear bilge and the position of mine has been perfect for reading at over 30 knots. Originally I didn't use the fairing and i got some interference. So i took it off (that was painful) and remounted it with the fairing.
2008_03302007xmasdouglas0014.jpg

Technologydriven

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I am new to greatgrady and read several of your other posts today which are helpful. Is this a B260?