Thru Hull Transducer question

Nemesis

Reaction score
On my previous boats I have always mounted my transducer inside the hull and shot thru it with good success. Now I am preparing to rig my new boat and thought that I would like to have a thru hull transducer so that I could capture surface temps. First question; how does Grady-White feel about breaking the integrity of the hull and will they still warrant it? Second; is it worth the additional expense to read the surface temp when just a few feet below it will be a different temp? I am wide open for opinions and suggestions.

Thanks

Bill

Workdog

Reaction score
This past Spring I put in an Airmar B-60-20 Tilted Element thru hull transducer. It works GREAT! I can read bottom up to WOT (45 mph) and I have read fish up to at least 35 mph. It was a very good purchase for me. I installed it myself, and the install was no problem. I have yet to break lock with the bottom after a full year of use, fishing in up to 6 footers. I put it in on the Stbd side of the keel in the transom well compartment mounted next to the bilge pump about a foot from the transom and about 6 inches off centerline. I could get you exact measurements if you'd like.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
as far as gw, the hulls on gw's below the water line are solid glass. you will not be exposing the hull to water intrusion into a core like some other mfg's. your biggest concern should be making a tight access hole and sealing PROPERLY. good luck ron

Bama96

Reaction score
In Hull

So the in hull does well for reading the bottom? I was contemplating the same thing. Transom, in hull, or thru hull. Scares me to drill a hole in a perfectly good hull.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: In Hull

Bama96 said:
So the in hull does well for reading the bottom? I was contemplating the same thing. Transom, in hull, or thru hull. Scares me to drill a hole in a perfectly good hull.

i had a p79 in the gulfstream and an m260 in the 330. both went to garmin headunits. i had no problems (other than the summer time issue with the gsd22 auto range function, which was fixed in a subsequent sw update), but i'm in water generally under 250'. the b60 noted above is the thru-hull. i personally don't like the xducer hanging on the bottom of the boat (although i think the b60 is flush -still would have growth issues), but i'm not a fanatic with regard to sounder returns. for temp, i bought a handheld norcross infrared temp gauge. ron

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I fitted my Airmar with the Fairing Box (huge) aproximately 2 years ago. I have had boats with identical transducers one in hull and one thru the hull and was able to switch transducers. There was a clear improvement with the thru hull so have used them ever since.

Fitting the transducer is not compromising your hull. Most pro boats have transducers (sometimes many) and other gear fitted as well.

It's not like you are putting a cork in it! A thru hull fitting with a hose on it ,is a much greater hull compromise.

The shaft of the tranny should be neat fit and here we use sicaflex as the sealant. Just don'rt tighten the nut all the way down initially, wait 24 hours and then tighten it. This stops the pressure from the nut squeezing out the selant too much.

sirc59

Reaction score
after talking quite long to garmin reps at ac boat show they have me talked into thru hull 500 watt transducer but any one know the deadrise and of my boat