tigercat

ross11

Reaction score
Need advise on my tigercat with twin verado 250s. Rides horrible! It falls on the stern from port to star. I believe it is over powered. Any thoughts or advise? :hmm

Tigercat

Reaction score
I have the F26 which is a 1998 model and it only calls for 200 HP Max do you have the F Tigercat or X Tigercat.

no problem

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "falls on the stern from port to star". If the stern is riding low it's probably from the massive weight from those motors. If that is the issue maybe different props will help. Good luck with it.

gradydriver

Reaction score
too much weight in the stern...that boat was not designed for all that weight...cats generally require LESS horsepower to push them than monohulls. :bang

raisinkane

Reaction score
You are over powered. That being said, Here is what I experienced. I was told by Burt @ GW It would be fine to replace my 200 2 strokes with 200 4 strokes. "In fact the added weight should help the boats ride".The hull likes to ride on the back of the sponsens like skiing on 2 water skis. You side to side problem and list is coming from too much speed, not enough lift AND improper Trim. I use the motors first then trim tab down a little for max speed at an rpm. 30-32 MPH. Four blade props gave me the lift in the stern to help the side to side problem 95%, It was the best money I spent on the boat. The Power Tech props have been awesome. Find out the weight difference in your motors and mine and see if it is too much if not get the 4 blades and do not run the boat over 35 mph staying off the SuperChargers is what I would do. I have a 1998 F26 with 08 Yamaha 200s. In 2000 I was told by GW it was the best riding hull they have ever made, GW Having one as a Company Boat. It was never designed to be a Go Fast Boat, It's all about the ride. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you.

ross11

Reaction score
All good info!I bought the boat with the motors and i am in too deep to make any major changes. I once had a glacier bay that performed extremely well in all conditions except following seas. I anticipated the same with the grady and have not been nearly as happy. I do believe the weight is a problem at 635lb x 2. The problem occurs around 22knots and tends to scare passengers.lol I have a steering wheel, lol. I will try the 4 blades to see if that helps the issue at all. Again, thanks for any advise.

Robert
doubled-up
Maryland-carolinas

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Before you buy anything I think you should still mess with trim. Before I bought my cat I searched every post about power cat's here and on the World Cat site. Common thread was trim and trim some more. Trim with the engines not the tabs leave the tabs up. Trim until the motors start to cavitate; wait for the boat to respond and then trim 'em again. They're putting those big Honda's on those POS World Cats and they run great. My 200's are 434 lbs each, yea the V-rods are a lot heavier but the equivalent to 2-fat boys in the back, you should be able to make it work. Assuming you're a fairly new owner, why did the PO sell the boat?

teaklejr

Reaction score
Hello. Just what Tucker said I think it is just the trim of the boat. On my Tigercat I have noticed if it is calm out and I trim the motors up till they start for rev up them trim back down a little the boat will not rock from side to side as much as if the bow of the boat is digging into the water with the motors trimmed down. I never even use the trim tabs. They are always all the way up. These boats do take some time to figure out but once you do you will like it.

ross11

Reaction score
Bought the boat from a broker in florida. I believe the previous owner passed.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Honestly think you'll be happy with the boat. Just need to figure out the trim thing. Yea, she's heavy in the rear but you got enough power to get it up and out. When that happens I bet she'll fly. Keep us posted with how you do...

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
shunter said:
So, could you give us an update? Did the trim work?

X2 on that one. Cheez, twin 250 V-Rods, bet he has a hard time keeping it in the water. How much additional weight do the Mercs add compared to 200 HP 2-stroke Yams?

bbarenis

Reaction score
ross11 said:
Need advise on my tigercat with twin verado 250s. Rides horrible! It falls on the stern from port to star. I believe it is over powered. Any thoughts or advise? :hmm
How heavy are the motors? I have f225 Yamahas and it does great. Also, do you have the cabin or a center counsel? I have the cabin f26 model. It originally had 200 2 strokes and I spoke to Grady & they said the litlle extra weight would help my model and it did. Rides like a greyhound bus. You may have too much weight depending on your model. FYI