Tilt and Trim Problem/question

cloud

Reaction score
Hi, I have a new to me 2001 Grady 282 with 225 OX66s (we have had a 208 for several years and we love it). My wife started to insisted that we upgrade and that we only look at larger Grady Whites (and keep the 208 for the tidal creek).
Problem: the dealer had to replace (rebuild) both tilt and trim units between the time I sea trialed the boat and when it was delivered. Both motors go up and down using the “individual actuators”, but when I use the single control on the throttle the motors do not go up or down at the same rate. In other words, after I lower the motors using the single control I have to reach down to the individual motor control and even the motors up. What is going on here? I assume that both motor should move the same speed and if they both started in the full down passion and I bring them up they would still be aligned.
Thanks for the help and advice.
John

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Two things to check. Oil level and is the cross shaft free on the slower engine. It could be tight causing the engine to be slower.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Any one of them gurgling when moving? Could be air trapped in the system.

seasick

Reaction score
The single control swith is probably bad or dirty. I seem to remember another post with the same issue.

cloud

Reaction score
Hey, I was too quick to respond… I went down to try and clean the single control this afternoon, it is a sealed switch so I can not clean it, but while I was working on switch I did notice that the starboard engine when I just worked it alone up and down was gurgling when it first started to move.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The switch has a rubber boot around it. You take it apart and clean the contacts.

Tideslave

Reaction score
I recently replaced one of my trim motors, and I noted a different rate at the start of the problem then noted it stalling. I replaced the motor myself, I purchased a after market motor from the internet and it works fine now. The hard part was removing the broken bolts. I saved approx $500 not using the "yamaha" motor, that is just the difference in the part, by the way I believe Johnson uses the same tilt unit.