Tilt Motor Replacement

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Has anyone tried to replace the tilt motor with the boat in the water? I have a single Yama 250 that has been giving me problems with mtor tilt. I am going to check the servicing today, but strongly suspect the motor is going bad. It seems to draw high current, won't alwyas lift the motor, and I saw smoke once. Not sure if it is doable in the water, or should I have it hauled?

How reliable is the PTT system on the Yamaha's?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You should really get the boat out of the water. Sure it's possible to do in the water but it's not worth the hastle. If you don't have a trailer, have a yard put it on blocks.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
PTT

Replaced my PTT motor on my 1988 Yamaha 150hp and it was a *itch even out of the water. 3 bolts held it down; the one behind the motor itself was the trouble. No way I could have done it in the water.

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Unless you are going to tread water while you do it, its probably best to get her pulled. I did mine on my old motor a few years back, and it was a royal PITA, and yes, that was out of the water...

Bren

striped bass

Reaction score
Definitely has to come out of the water. A very difficult part to replace. As NautiBuoys mentioned, one of the three bolts is behind the motor in the corner of the engine bracket and just about impossible to access unless the whole engine is lifted off the motor bracket.
NautiBuoys - how did you get access to the third bolt without having to remove the outboard engine from the bracket?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure how you would do this in the water, you will have hydraulic oil leak when you remove the return line, and getting under an outboard in the water is not fun. I would recommend doing it out of the water, it will be a lot quicker and safer to do, and as mentioned almost impossible to acess parts of it in the water.
Make sure you use the tilt bracket when ever you tilt up to take pressure off the engine, lower the weight of the engine onto it and your trim cylinder should never go, don;t use it and you could go through them like crazy. I know plenty of guys who do not use them, but this is a costly fix that could very easily be avoided by using the bracket to take the weight off the trim cyclinder itself, it is made for just this reason and every dealer will recommned you use it.