time for the bottom

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I got the combing bolsters in, electronics done for now, nav lights and cockpit lights done, stereo done, interior cleaned up and keel damage repaired. It's time for the bottom, I'm getting closer to being on the water.

Attachments

• IMG_3920.JPG
    IMG_3920.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3925.JPG
    IMG_3925.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3939.JPG
    IMG_3939.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3941.JPG
    IMG_3941.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 40

Joez

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am about to be painting my bottom as well, material just showed up yesterday.

What did you choose to use for yours?

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Interlux 2000e epoxy primer went on today, 2 coats. Next will be Micron CSC coats. The bottom paint will need 36 hours or so between coats. The stripers will be gone before we are in, good thing they come back!
Apparently the boat had been bottom painted previously then stripped and re gel coated. I block sanded the whole thing as it had many waves in the spray job not taken out. She's ready to race now :)
By the way I did not know about amine blush before working on my keel, after 4 failed attempts at gel coating my repair I do now. After excepting defeat then trying one more time, sanding and running the garden hose on the work for some amount of time I conquered it. Failure is never an option with me an that was not helping me stay in a happy place :). Moving on

Attachments

• IMG_3953.JPG
    IMG_3953.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: jimever

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
today is the day. dropping her in on the afternoons high tide, IM READY! 5 weeks of crummy weather for working on the boat. Yesterday found the bilge float wire was bad, the last thing I had to do was fill it up at home so i don't sink in the slip and it failed. will pick p new wires and rewire this morning while waiting for the tide. its fun climbing down in the bait well space to work.

Attachments

• IMG_3957.JPG
    IMG_3957.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3958.JPG
    IMG_3958.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3959.JPG
    IMG_3959.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Gorgeous boat. What kind of paint is on the trim tabs? I was always told to paint them with a special metal anti fouling paint to prevent electrolysis.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m happy you are talking about antifouling bottom paint and not Davy Jones locker. From the title this thread could have gone a number of directions. :)

seasick

Reaction score
Gorgeous boat. What kind of paint is on the trim tabs? I was always told to paint them with a special metal anti fouling paint to prevent electrolysis.
In general tabs should be cleaned, maybe etched if aluminum is oxidized, epoxy primed with a primer that is suitable for metal and then painted with non copper based anti fouling paint.
Without the primer, anti-fouling paint doesn't stick all that well to bare metal. Of course if sacrificial anodes are installed, the surface under them must be bare metal.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I used interlux micron csc but there is epoxy under it. I have not heard of that before, hope its not a problem. I did my old 19 mako with just bottom paint back in the day and I think I did my 87 22 seafarer with just paint. perhaps they became someones elves problem down the road. i hope not for me and them. If anybody has any input on this I wold love to here it.