Tip needed for non-skid mat

JiminGA

Reaction score
Is there any kind of non-skid mat available that I can put under a 72 QT "Igloo" type cooler to keep it from sliding around?

I've checked the WM and BW catalogs but don't see anything like this. I do NOT want to put down any type of permanent screw-in type cooler anchors. I want to be able to freely move the cooler around the cockpit as needed.

Thanks!

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
There are mats that are available (Kitchens Etc. makes mats that go under cutting boards) but a wet towel underneath will help it from sliding but short of securing it, it's gonna slide.
Keep it in the aft in a corner and use your tabs to comp for the weight.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I second the wet bath towel method, works great.

One catch, do not steal your wives favorite thick - oversized bath towel off the towel bar, she will not be happy (ask me how I know...)

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Borrowed this quote from a buddy of mine on Classic Parker website.

"On the bottom in each corner, I always rough up with sandpaper and 5200 a piece of rubbery diamond tred stuff. The cooler never moves with that stuff on there......even in rough seas. WM has it. They are rectangular about 5x8 inches, and come in gray or white with the peel and stick on the back. "

I have fished with him in the Gulf and the coolers don't move. Hope this is what your are looking for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JiminGA

Reaction score
Agreement,

Thats a neat idea - it would sure beat a soggy towel lying around. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Jim,

Went back and looked at his post and he is using the slow cure 5200 and putting a dob of it right on the adhesive before sticking it to the bottom corners of his cooler.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Non-skid mat

We use the shelf liner stuff on rolls. It has a honeycomb like pattern, rubber covered. Comes in different colors. Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc.

Cut to length, put it under cooler - stuff works great.

JiminGA

Reaction score
ocnslr,

Now THAT"S what I have been looking for! Thanks!

(Also thanks to ALL of you who posted some excellent replies and suggestions.)

BTW, ocnslr, you have THE Grady I'd love to have. I still don't understand why they discontinued a trailerable 27. (meaning a 8-6 beam and no wide load issues).

Tideslave

Reaction score
I put a large door mat I got at Sam's in my skiff so my Lab's won't slip, that that may work. I going to try that in my Gulfstream next time I go out, if it works I will cut one to fit my cooler. I put a cooler in the back as well.