To Grady or not to Grady

Squiddley

Reaction score
This is my first post after lurking for some time. Being an admirer of the Grady line you have put together a fine web site here.
Sometime in the near future, I might be pulling the trigger on a fishing boat. Right now I have a line on an almost new Aquasport 235 Osprey at a rock bottom price. But I'm somewhat torn. Always wanted a Grady but they have become almost cost prohibitive. I understand one get what one pays for.
I have looked at the Adventure 208's (my wife like's cuddy's) and found their fit/finish and overall appearance impressive. (Would love a Gulfstream but much too much cash outlay for a newer model)
My question, what kind of discounts can be found out there for new leftover 208's and/or Seafarers during the "off season"? Thanks.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The dealers are probably more apt to deal more than when times are easy, but don't expect too much. Why not pick up a used one? The depreciation is sick when you take ownership and if the $'s are tight find a used one.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you are in the northeast, now is the beginning of the best time of the year: end of season, of the best in many a year to be buying, no matter the brand.

Grady dealers sell new and brokered boats, you go to the Grady website, find dealer websites as many as you want, and check their brokered inventory. Someone who is selling a Grady doesn't have to be buying another Grday to have the dealer broker it. You can buy from any dealer you want, regardless of where you reside.

This is in addition to Boatraderonline and the like, which has used and new boats.
You can also find out how many of a particular new boat model they have as leftovers by calling.

Also visit the fall boat shows, of the brand you are interested in and ask about leftovers - if you want a new boat.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It was because our Spirit 175 held its value so well that we were able to get into an Adventure 208. And becasue the 208 held its value so well we could do the 258. So far, after 16 years of Grady ownership, I don't think our cost of ownership has been higher than if we had started with a more moderately priced boat.

That said, I agree with the post above that there are many 2-3 year old Gradys out there with several years left on engine warranty, at great prices.

Good luck in your search.

Rob

sharkboy

Reaction score
I just bought a 14 yr old Grady. Best deal I ever made. Do not be afraid of buying a quality used boat. IMHO much less risk than a much more expensive new boat.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!!

Now, a shameless plug for a virtually new 208...check the 'for sale' section for my username for my ad.

We love ours, everything about it. They are terrific little boats. We like it so much we want a little bigger one because most of our outings are out on the Pacific and we get a nasty chop every afternoon. Plus we would like the opportunity for few over-nighters, and while the 208 will do it, I have a severly spoiled bride - camping out to her is the hilton.

Anyway, the 208 is a really dry ride compared to a center console, we appreciate it on every trip. Even if you don't sleep in the cabin it's a fantastic gear storage, secure and dry. Even my stereo unit is in there.

Keep us posted on what you find. Oh, and you can never go wrong with a Grady - price is soon forgotten but lower quality is a giant regret every time you use it.

ttenordave

Reaction score
Just another plug for a relatively new "used" Grady. After looking at the field of 18 to 22 foot CC vs Dual Console vs Walkaround; and being sorely tempted by less expensive other brands, about 2 to 3 years ago fell in love with the idea of the Adventure 208 for so many reasons; after about a year of semi serious looking found in the fall of "06 an '04 208 launched in '05 with 18 hours on its Yamaha F150 for about 70% of the cost of new. Absolutely love the boat and have had no trouble!! Good luck. Dave R

Gary M

Reaction score
Luckily my neighbor won't see this! He has an Aquasport and I have been out on it a few times. Compared to any of the three Gradys we've had, it's a pile of junk.

Do your family a BIG favor. Look for a low-hour, used Grady in tip top condition. You'll be happy, the family will love you and come resale time, you'll be high-fiving yourself! Both my previous Gradys sold to the first guys that looked at them.......