Took Delivery of my 2010 Tournament 275 yesterday

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Beautiful boat!! Love the lines, Congrats and good luck with her!!

striped bass

Reaction score
Looks terrific! You have some nice weather coming your way so you can really step out with your new 275.
Are those F150s or F250s hanging off the transom?
I agree Jack, Sheila and Pete are good people.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
They are 150s. I debated each power option and although the 350 initially sounded interesting, I was convinced that a single engine didn't make sense. I then looked at the 225s and 250s and was told that the increase in weight made the stern tail heavy and that although you got a little more power, you lost some of it to the additional weight. Ultimate I consulted with the GW factory who told me that 75% of all Tournament 275s are equipped with 150s and that the remaining 25% is split between the 350s, 200s and 250s. That made up my mind.

To be honest, when Yamaha came out with the new 225s and 250s I thought about them for a minute (although it was too late since my boat had already been built) and then decided against them as I've learned to be cautious about version 1.0 of any product. Also, Yamaha has been producing the 150s for a while and they are pretty much bulletproof (except for balance shaft issues which shouldn't be a problem since my engines were built after Yamaha solved that problem). The one thing I miss more than additional power is the electronic throttle control (that would have been very, very nice). I had a Yamaha 150 on my last boat and really loved the engine.

I tend to cruise between 20 - 30 mph and boat 75% of the time by myself or just with my son. The added power of bigger engines would be somewhat wasted on me.

Sorry for the long response to a simple question.

Ken

striped bass

Reaction score
Goldman:
Thank you for your very thoughtful reply. My guess was that since you are in Tiverton you probably venture out to (and beyond) the Block and were seeking the security of a second engine.